Like Tree33Likes

Hong Kong flats for Hong Kong people

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Hong Kong flats for Hong Kong people

Populist clap trap or sensible policy?

HK is renowned for being an open economy so why create barriers for capital inflow?

HK is renowned for a high land policy that stops low-middle income earners ever owning a flat so needs creative policies?

dear giant likes this.

Traditional Hongkongers have four things they consider symbols of success: a flat in a building with elevators, a European car, a good spouse and a pedigree dog.
    Hongkongers too obsessed with flats and cars | South China Morning Post
    dear giant likes this.

dear giant and roen like this.

Mat

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast
    Traditional Hongkongers have four things they consider symbols of success: a flat in a building with elevators, a European car, a good spouse and a pedigree dog.
    Hongkongers too obsessed with flats and cars | South China Morning Post
    well like almost any developped nation.

next?

Sent from my GT-I9210 using GeoClicks Mobile
    Satay Sue likes this.

An article about this topic on webb-site.com.

HK land for HK xenophobes

Last edited by emx; 07-09-2012 at 08:15 AM.
    East_coast and drumbrake like this.

Interesting article. I think ultimately what will happen is that the Government will give in to the political demand of people wanting their own homes by offering cheap home loans to lower income people to allow them to get onto the property ladder (similar to what they do in Australia).

You can't hardly blame the locals for wanting to do what is in their perceived best interest. Hong Kong is probaly tops in the world at carving out special rules to suite everyone's needs...so why not housing as well.

The entire region is "special" or what I would call 'fake'....so why not rig the housing market too.

Someday, all the special treatment and rules will come crashing down on Hong Kong like a ton of bricks...and when that day comes, I hope I'm not here cause it won't be pretty.

dear giant likes this.

The gov't should just build flats on it and rent to underprivileged class. Promote low income housing as opposed to low income home ownership.

dear giant and Ern like this.

Because Hong KOng is is becoming a place where rich Mainlannders smuggle their cash, and purchase stores of value we call apartments. We need affordable houses to live in. If we don't have them, then expats will not come here and educated HK'ers will emigrate elsewhere, leaving the lowest run and very rich only. Wealthy mainlanders are becoming too numerous to stop the negative social impacts of their investments.

Anyway, did you really believe that HK is the freest economy? Why, because you can open a business in two hours, or because several large monopolies control nearly every aspect of our lives?

dear giant likes this.

There was this scheme in the mid-90s where I believe the gummint loaned 25% of the purchase value to eligible buyers, who (again, if eligible) could then take out a mortgage for 70% and only had to put up 5% of the purchase price.

I don't remember what the criteria was, but I think it helped increase home ownership at market prices.

Last edited by Dreadnought; 07-09-2012 at 10:22 AM.
    dear giant likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast