Like Tree103Likes

Maybe moving to Hong Kong???? Advice seriously welcome

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast

what do you class as serious coin??
    i have to give my job up so needs to cover that.
    also the csa in uk will have a field day??
    is it all aprtments or are there houses to with little gardens etc
    safety?
    living in HK would want to be able to explore by myself safely and not be isolated.
    have been on a few house sites and for 14000hk its not very nice or am i looking on wrong sites.

thanks carang thats helpful. i think 1500gbp would be a starting point?? seems alot to me but is that the average over there?

cjjenks

serious coin is relative, but places in stanley can run you over 100k per month (hkd)... 20k+ per month can get you a nice place in most areas in the new territories

and $15,000hkd isnt' much for rent for most expats...

oh dear we will be poor expats then lol
    lets hope the package is good eh as we have a comfortable life in the uk so we need to beat this considerably.
    have never rented anywhere in my life so am not upto speed with these things.

as i said, i have friends/relatives who pay <$5000/month and i know people who pay well over $150,000/month.

i think you need to do some more research on property and what you can get where and for how much.

try gohome.com.hk, hongkonghomes.com and other property sites. just know that these sites are rarely up-to-date and often the prices you see you need at least a pound of salt.

also, 2 bedrooms is not specific enough. you can get 2 bedroom flats in 350' total flat area (i lived in one for a couple of years with 2 flatmates!) or you can get a 2 bedroom flat in 1500'.

another word of warning: the sq footage you see advertised is not actual footage. it includes the flat's share of the common areas (lobby, clubhouses?, stairwells, lifts/lift lobbies, hallways etc). often they will list their efficiency ie 75%--- the flat is only 75% of the listed size.

ok thanks for the advice ....i will start to research more now. my head is spinning.

Here are a couple of housing sites:

香港房地產網|住宅放盤|物業按揭|搵 租樓 (then click the ENG link at the top for English)
    Hong Kong Property, Apartments, Homes, Real Estate for Sale, rent and lease - Square Foot

You're going to be overwhelmed immediately as there are 10,000 lists in neighborhoods you've never heard of. Just to give you a starting idea, why don't you pick say Sheung Wan or Midlevels (both have a fair number of expats) and search for a 2br. That will give you an idea of some of the rates people are paying around there (and yes, it will go up to obscene numbers). Look at the size of the units (will be exaggerated a bit given the way they measure here) and then take a look at some areas like Kennedy Town or North Point on HK Island or Tsing Yi or Sha Tin out in Kowloon. You'll start to see how some of the prices / sizes differ in parts of the city. Look further out in the New Territories like Tai Po and get another idea.

Relocation packages are on the decline throughout most sectors. Some in the financial industry still have them, some do not. I'm not sure what the standard would be in the hospital sector, if at all.

Saying the air is better or worse in one part of town is kind of like saying "I have the best house in the worst neighborhood". When it blows down from China it's bad all over the city. That's is 200% of the WHO maximums in Central but only 150% in Sha Tin really isn't that much cause for excitement. My advice is if air pollution is a major issue (asthma, respiratory issues) don't come to Hong Kong.

Claire ex-ax, carang and Oxygen like this.

If you are after a high quality style place, with balcony, pools and ocean view I would highly reccomend you consider Park Island Park Island, Ma Wan, Hong Kong You can get a 3brm place there (with maids room additional), 2 bathrooms for around 25K a month.

vmlinuz and GeoDerek like this.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast