Like Tree103Likes

Maybe moving to Hong Kong???? Advice seriously welcome

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

OK, here is my guidance - take where your husband's work place is and work backwards. For example if he is working in Kowloon, then there is not much point living on south side of HK as the commute will be crazy with two tunnels to commute through.

You want balcony - ok lots of apartments will have this. If you want roof top terrace, then more limited. If you want garden then even more limited. Pool and club facilities - you will need to go with a larger development, a newer one or one where there are more expats - or simply join a club.

Size of flat - assuming your husband's kids will visit, think you should get something at least 1000 sq ft as this will be more comfortable with 3 bedrooms - one for you, one for the kids and one for a study. 1000 sq foot will give good space. Anything smaller and you will feel claustrophobic. Go further out for cheaper flat, go closer you sacrifice size, all else equal.

Cost of rental - I would factor in something like 30%-40% of salary for rent - if you're at the lower end of salary scale ($<$60k/mth) then use higher end of percentage scale, and for higher end of salary scale (>$100k/mth) then use the lower end of percentage scale.

Oxygen likes this.

three little pigs - that's pretty good advice. The only thing I would add, is that for some people, doing a stint in HK is part of making a decent chunk of money in the process. If that is their aim, the biggest likely influence on how much they can save during their time is on rent. So, for some people I would think you can go to 20% of income on rent, or less - Eg Salary 100K a month, rent 20K.

Congrats

Dont worry Claire, you've got the right attitude!

There is some good advice on this thread so far... but remember, just because you aren't on some out-of-this-world-neo-colonial expat package doesn't mean you can't live comfortably/have fun/make friends/and even carve yourself out a little rented home.

So:

balcony- not an unreasonable request but be prepared for a tight squeeze.

front yard- possible if you're willing to live "far away" (keep in mind HK is small and public transportation is world-class making everything accessible).

work- if you want to work you will be able to, but you might want to start making calls ahead of time to clinics and hospitals to see what the demand is like for intravenous vampires.

safety- you can explore anywhere in the city without worrying about personal safety, but it is heavily populated which might take a little time to get used to. Get lost on public transport, it can be rewarding.

Others will have plenty of advice on housing... just don't let these pesky trolls curb your enthusiasm. Hong Kong is great!

If you want a house and garden, consider Fairview in Yuen Long.....16k for a 1200sqf 3 bedder with garden and off street parking. Good, reasonably priced club and direct access to the highway to Kowloon/Tuen Mun and Tai Po as well as easy for cross-border shopping! I consider it to be 'central' for my purposes and think I'll move there next March.

In the meantime, I live in a ground floor village house, 700sqf with garden for 6800, free parking. I work in and around Tuen Mun though.

As far as commute time goes, only your husband can value his time. Reducing a 1 hour commute to a half hour commute to increase your rent by 15k? OP, remember, many of the people on here pull well over 6 figures!

Last edited by bryant.english; 11-09-2012 at 12:45 PM.
    Oxygen likes this.

Morning from not so sunny UK.
    Head spin all night but do have more info.
    Budget for apartment is about 25-35 and think we are going to delve deeper into mid levels??? as hubby will be able to commute easily to the offices in kowloon and wanchai...am i right in that?? he is a little worried i will be climbing the walls as not used to being a kept woman and not sure i want to be. i will volunteer i think at first. i would like a pool at complex with all facilities as hubby may have to go on overnight stays on occasion.
    He isnt employed by the hospital so packages are available.
    Our aim for considering the move is to enjoy the adventure, make money and see the world. what more can a girl ask for eh.

Thank you yiu allowed me to breathe.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

The choice of buildings/complexes with pools + all facilities (although I don't know exactly what you mean by that) in Mid-levels is not that wide, let alone at your budget. Sorry.

carang likes this.

I live near turn Mun and that quite nice. We have a small gym outdoor pool. It will take about 50 mins to get to Mong kok. Not sure that this really helps but it gives you an idea of travel time. We don't rent so I'll try and find out what rental would cost to give you an idea what you could get in te NT.

facilities means pool,gym etc and i have seen a few at our budget just need to ask hubbys boss as she lives in happy valley now.
    thanks oxygen that would be nice of you.
    evrything i seem to suggest is just shot down by some people.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire1
    facilities means pool,gym etc and i have seen a few at our budget just need to ask hubbys boss as she lives in happy valley now.
    thanks oxygen that would be nice of you.
    evrything i seem to suggest is just shot down by some people.
    It's not being "shot down", it's giving you advice which you asked for. It would be very difficult to get a decent sized apartment with facilities in Mid-levels for your budget.
    Last edited by Satay Sue; 11-09-2012 at 07:03 PM.
    carang likes this.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast