Like Tree103Likes

Maybe moving to Hong Kong???? Advice seriously welcome

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

i don't think you grasp how much rents can be in hk. $25-35,000 in hk (depending on where you live) can usually get you very little. mid-levels is not a "cheaper" area. it is very pricey!

people are being honest so that you don't set your expectations too high. if you'd rather we be dishonest, we can try that, too.

ufo20022008 likes this.

You can get a small 3 room apartment in Goldwin Heights Seymour Road Mid level for about $30K, Area about 1,000 sq ft gross, about 700 net floor area.
    Swimming pool, gm and shuttle bus available.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer
    You can get a small 3 room apartment in Goldwin Heights Seymour Road Mid level for about $30K, Area about 1,000 sq ft gross, about 700 net floor area.
    Swimming pool, gm and shuttle bus available.
    Which will seem tiny, 3 bedrooms in 700 sq ft? A quick look at the square foot website showed apartments with odd-shaped rooms. I looked at a lot of places like this when we arrived and had to turn down as, among other things, we couldn't get our bed in the master bedroom!
    Last edited by Satay Sue; 11-09-2012 at 07:52 PM.

Mat

Quote Originally Posted by Satay Sue
    Which will seem tiny, 3 bedrooms in 700 sq ft? A quick look at the square foot website showed apartments with odd-shaped rooms. I looked at a lot of places like this when we arrived and had to turn down as, among other things, we couldn't get our bed in the master bedroom!
    Change bed.....
    Claire1 likes this.

Ha, knew I'd get some stick for that! Nope, spent a lot of money on our bed (before we knew we'd be moving to a place like HK with not much space for your money!) so we looked for a place with more actual space.

Mat

Quote Originally Posted by Satay Sue
    Ha, knew I'd get some stick for that! Nope, spent a lot of money on our bed (before we knew we'd be moving to a place like HK with not much space for your money!) so we looked for a place with more actual space.
    Fair enough, fair enough.

i expect small living. i just wanted advice on areas thats all.

The point being that I for one had a massive shock with the size of places here and how much (or should I say how little) you got for your budget. While 1000 sq ft seems like a decent size in comparison to many places in HK, when you're coming from anywhere else it is not really very big.

Last edited by Satay Sue; 11-09-2012 at 08:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire1
    i expect small living. i just wanted advice on areas thats all.
    You told us your budget and advice was offered, I didn't see anyone being nasty. Unfortunately good advice is not always what one wants to hear.

i just got a private message saying:

'no more advice please'...

i didn't realise that advice is only what you want to hear.... hmmm....i didn't think i'd been nasty or unhelpful at all....strange.

bookblogger, elle and hktraveller like this.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast