Like Tree103Likes

Maybe moving to Hong Kong???? Advice seriously welcome

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    cjjenks

try visiting for a few days before moving out...

Claire1 likes this.

haha yeah very precious. and am currently trying to unsubscribe to this site as really dont need the hassle. any ideas how to get rid of this

you are being extremely sensitive. you said, "advice seriously welcome"

but that is not correct. you want us to tell you what you want to hear. there have been A LOT of extremely helpful posts, by a lot of people who are taking time out of their day to try to answer your extremely broad questions.

instead of saying "thanks for the advice", you send messages saying "your advice is no longer welcome".... what did i say, exactly, that offended you? i really don't understand why you are so upset.

this site and the people on it have years of experience, not just moving overseas, but living in hk. i've been here coming up to 18 years. i've lived all over this city (including in kwun tong!)...

what do you want to hear? for $25000 you will find a palatial flat, with pools, jacuzzis, gyms all on the doorstep of your husband's office?

or would you rather people give you real advice? $25,000 may be a lot to you (who really only wanted to spend $15-20,000 and considered that to be a lot) but to many expats it is their monthly spending money. now, that doesn't mean it is the same for everyone, which is why we need more details about you, your husband and what you would "like" to have. we need to know what is important to you.
    ie) a balcony to have a ciggie on is necessary?.... the biggest part of moving overseas is learning to adapt. you say you are ok with small space living... what is the smallest flat you've ever lived in? you are asking for a lot for what you want to spend...don't know why you are taking offence at that? it's not an opinion, it's a fact. something's going to have to give in your expectations.

wouldn't it be better to have a realistic idea of what it's going to be like and what you can get for your money? or do you want to live in la-la land? this is NOT the uk. things are different here.

where i'm from, i could get a massive 5000' house with an even bigger garden in the nicest part of town for about $5M HKD.... here, that same $5M HKD might buy me a 500' flat in a rundown highrise, if i'm lucky. that doesn't mean that people have it in for me or that they are being mean and abusive. that's the way things are here.

but, as someone else said, if you think THIS is hard, then i don't know that you are cut out to leave your comfort zone and travel 1/2 way around the world....

Quote Original Post:
    facilities means pool,gym etc and i have seen a few at our budget just need to ask hubbys boss as she lives in happy valley now.
    thanks oxygen that would be nice of you.
    evrything i seem to suggest is just shot down by some people.
    I think my estate would average 10-12k per month. That would be second floor with a balcony. We live in blocks three high and it's a gated community.

I think you need to consider that HK is very similar to London for rent in that if you wish to live centrally then this will cost a lot of money. Live further out and it's cheaper but public transport in HK is first rate.

The idea that you find out how much you have, where your husband work and then go from the is quite sound advice.

This site may help and remember that property in HK rents by Sq feet and not bedrooms as in the UK.

http://www.squarefoot.com.hk/propert...ment/for-rent/
    carang likes this.

ok, i have received an apology.... i've also figured out what one of the problems is.... she misunderstood "expat ghetto"....
    all's well that ends well.

oh, and housing is $45000.... which slightly changes things, too!

Claire1 likes this.

For my two pence worth I would not live to live on HK island (unless I had pots of cash) I like the feel of Kowloon and the New Territories.

Although to some it might seem very Chinese and in fact it is but I like that flavour. I think you will find a nice place much nearer to where your hubby works for your budget.

Although it may seem like you are getting flamed at the moment there has been some very good advice on this thread and although at present it may seem that some of the comments are blunt, there hearts are in the right place.

Better to land on your feet than fall on your arse.

The advice to come here for a holiday is also very sound. It will give you some time to explore your husbands new work area.

I came here about 8 times before I decided to move out which was good research and made me realise as pointed out that the property situation is much different from the UK.

On my first holiday I was (to my long suffering Hong Kong wife) I want this, I want that... This is too small etc. After my 4 trip it was more like. Yes honey your right.

Quote Original Post:
    I think my estate would average 10-12k per month. That would be second floor with a balcony. We live in blocks three high and it's a gated community.

I think you need to consider that HK is very similar to London for rent in that if you wish to live centrally then this will cost a lot of money. Live further out and it's cheaper but public transport in HK is first rate.

The idea that you find out how much you have, where your husband work and then go from the is quite sound advice.

This site may help and remember that property in HK rents by Sq feet and not bedrooms as in the UK.

http://www.squarefoot.com.hk/propert...ment/for-rent/
    Use there advanced search option to filter by area, price, bedrooms, facilities and sq ft.

going to look off the island at places suggested.
    away from the ghetto it seems .......x

Carang....looking at tseung kwan on maps....would we need a car as didnt plan on this??
    Oxygen we are going come out a few times before to check places out.
    Thanks

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast