Like Tree56Likes

Accommodation on Park Island

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by randy1
    For Park Island, a kingsized bed might be OK. For example I have one. But I agree in general HK bedrooms are likely to be too small. Also agree, of course to view places before agreeing to rent them, but I do feel Park Island is an excellent choice for a family that want some space and facilities for kids etc.
    So is Sai Kung, Gold Coast, Sham Tseng and a host of other places that do not rely on a shuttle bus/ferry to connect to the rest of HK! I have nothing against Park Island (Gold Coast get similar stick for being "remote") and Discovery Bay also relies on bus/ferry but the OP REALLY needs to come and view these places before making a decision!

Obviously, if the OP's hubby works at the airport and the budget is really small, Park Island is quite sensible (as would be Gold Coast, Sham Tseng and DB).

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07
    So is Sai Kung, Gold Coast, Sham Tseng and a host of other places that do not rely on a shuttle bus/ferry to connect to the rest of HK! I have nothing against Park Island (Gold Coast get similar stick for being "remote") and Discovery Bay also relies on bus/ferry but the OP REALLY needs to come and view these places before making a decision!

Obviously, if the OP's hubby works at the airport and the budget is really small, Park Island is quite sensible (as would be Gold Coast, Sham Tseng and DB).
    Agee Moving. PS - Park Island, apart from ferry and bus access, also now has taxi access (which not everyone realizes) and there are some serious discussions taking place regarding the possibilty of car access (for residents/owners) which I am sure will happen eventually). Once that happens, you have a really great place, just 15 mins drive from the heart of central. (That does of course not have much relevance for someone renting there now, but it is of interest to potential buyers). With regard to PI being "remote" I had thought this before I moved there, but I was honestly plesently suprised at how accessible everything is, and yet how different PI is from the intensity and congestion etc of Central.

most bedrooms in hong kong do not have closets. so a new 'spacious' 3 bedroom 1,000 sq ft unit in hong kong is equivalent to 1 small bedroom and 2 walk-in closets.

Quote Originally Posted by dumbdonkey
    most bedrooms in hong kong do not have closets. so a new 'spacious' 3 bedroom 1,000 sq ft unit in hong kong is equivalent to 1 small bedroom and 2 walk-in closets.
    He's not kidding unfortunately!
    randy1 and carang like this.

For the same rental price, there are heaps of choices that are better than Park Island around HK, Kowloon and NT for the family-friendly environment. I think Park Island is a nice place for a family day outing... This is just my 2cents.

@OP, if you have not been to HK. I second a previous piece of advice to come to HK first and walk/feel around potential areas before putting pen to paper. Estate agents are another matter that have been heavily discussed on these forums too, I would do a search on thoses too.

Good luck!

Mat

• Budget
    • Size required
    • Features required/not required (ie Swimming pool, balcony...)
    • Place of work
    • Kids (number, age, more on the way?)
    • How long are you going to stay in HK?
    • Nature?
    • City?
    • Party/Enteratinement addict?
    • Convenience?
    • Quiet?
    • Transport tolerance (15/30/45/+1h each way)
    • Car/no car

Then we can provide more detailed advise.

On the face of it Park Island with a 2 years old kid and a limited budget ins;t a bad place but it really depends on a lot of factors listed above.

Please enlighten us :-)
    Last edited by Mat; 14-09-2012 at 11:31 AM.
    carang and lermo18 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hkken569
    For the same rental price, there are heaps of choices that are better than Park Island around HK, Kowloon and NT for the family-friendly environment
    For NT, yes, but for HK island and Kowloon? Really? Same rental price? Where?

work vs park island

i work in central for which living in park island is good/ok. same goes for working at the airport, tsuen wan or kwai fong.

if work is anywhere else, i would seriously consider the time it takes to get to work

Quote Originally Posted by Mat
    • Budget
      - No more than $18000
    • Size required
      - the bigger the better
    • Features required/not required (ie Swimming pool, balcony...)
      - swimming pool and walking/jogging tracks or promenade
    • Place of work
      - i won't be working but my husband's office will be in Shek Kip Mei
    • Kids (number, age, more on the way?)
      - 1 son - age 2 years old - so somewhere close to playschools or kindy
    • How long are you going to stay in HK?
      - minimum of 2 years (as per contract) or could be more
    • Nature?
      - not too fuss
    • City?
    • Party/Enteratinement addict?
      - don't want to be in a party district
    • Convenience?
      - as long as supermarkets are not too far and they have good range
    • Quiet?
      - somewhat peaceful at night to get a good night sleep
    • Transport tolerance (15/30/45/+1h each way)
      - my husband said he is not fuss but would prefer to be closer to MTR
    • Car/no car
      - no car or less car would be great

Then we can provide more detailed advise.

On the face of it Park Island with a 2 years old kid and a limited budget ins;t a bad place but it really depends on a lot of factors listed above.

Please enlighten us :-)
    Thanks heaps!

Hi Mat,
    I've just inserted some answers. Hope it makes sense. I'm still trying to learn how to use this forum...lol

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast