Like Tree56Likes

Accommodation on Park Island

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Park Island fits your requirements - not perfectly but not that bad.
    The commute to Shek Kip Mei would be a little tedious - I guess the bus or ferry to Tsing Yi or Tsuen Wan and then the MTR with TWO changes (unless anyone knows a better route). Probably take at least 40 mins.
    The supermarket in Park Island is somewhat limited and there is nowhere else easily around - that might cause you inconvenience.
    Other than those, it should be fine.
    If I were you I would also look at places along the coast from Tsuen Wan to Tuen Mun (Sham Tseng and Sui Lam / Gold Coast are the main names to look out for) - those are more flexible because of the lack of ferry and get cheaper the further out you go.
    Alternatively you could consider something on the East Rail line going north (Tai Wai, Shatin, all the way up to Ma On Shan - again - further north lower price) which would be much the same commute.

Anyway - same advice - come and look first. Build quality of the apartment is probably more important for noise than location as your neighbours are actually the ones making most of the noise!

lermo18 likes this.

Thank you for your comments and advise. We really appreciate it.

We are now planning to view places around HK before my husband starts his new contract.

Satay Sue likes this.

Good to hear! It is really not advisable to agree to rent ANYWHERE unless you've seen it in person.

Mat

If your husband works in Shei Kip Mei then Park Island is not so good commute wise. 40min is very optimistic in my opinion. I would count around an hour (have to arrive a few minutes ahead to board the ferry, or MTR full...)Similar as Park Island (ie modern building with facilities, around 18/20K BUTclose to MTR) would be for example:Castello in ShatinPalazzo in FotanFestival City in Tai Wai....along this axis basically.Sham Tsseng and Gold Coast are NOT advisable to go to Shei Kip Mei unless you are ok to travel an 50min/ an hour (Sham Tseng) or 1.15/20 hours (Goldcoast).

Mat

To add on my post above. My wife has done for a few months Goldcoast/Kowloon Tong and it was really tough. We moved out of GC partly because of this 4 years qgo. After two years in Hunghom (great) we moved some place close to Sham Tseng and she does the trip to Kowloon Tong daily. She.is fine with it but she would not do it again from GC. It takes her around 45 mn each way on normal days. Never leas than this.

It was well over an hour from GC.

Sent from my GT-I9210 using GeoClicks Mobile

Quote Original Post:
    Quiet?
    - somewhat peaceful at night to get a good night sleep
    That might be a bit tricky in most of Hong Kong, especially on Park Island. Park Island sits directly next to Hong Kong's biggest bridge with a busy highway (Lantau Link).

And more importantly, it sits directly in the approach/departure path of both runways of the Hong Kong International Airport. It's worse when airplanes take off, since they climb out at take off performance and just when passing around 3000 feet they turn south west just when approaching PI.

With around 500 aircraft movements a day (24/7) that's an airplane every 3 minutes. More at the morning and at 'rush hours' of course. People who live there keep telling me it's not that bad. I am always puzzled when I talk to people at the beach on PI and they shout back at me that it's not that bad

You might want to look at the flight radar:
    flightradar24.com.
    Last edited by 100LL; 14-09-2012 at 08:25 PM.
    Flat Hunter likes this.

I agree that PI isn't a good choice if your husband is traveling to Shek Kip Mei not when there are other choices, but in answer to 100LL, I honestly do not hear the planes inside my flat, whether you believe me is up to you (and anyone else reading). And noise from the bridge?! Seriously, have you been inside many/any flats here? If the distance from that bridge to the *nearest* blocks is too close in regards to traffic then that would discount so many other places in HK, like anything along castle peak road for instance.

i would look at mei foo. good bang for your buck. lots of kindies around plus a somewhat 'easier' to get into international school, delia. has MTR and a skateboard park nearby.

mei foo is also 40+ yrs old

Last edited by dumbdonkey; 14-09-2012 at 09:14 PM.

This forum is pretty funny. No one really listens and always tries to advertise where they live. Not only on this post, but on every single one of them.
    The only objective thing I read on this threat is to come and visit before deciding. This is very true.
    For those who said Park Island is noisy...they clearly never lived there. It is VERY VERY quiet. You can sleep with the windows opened and hear the frogs, the insects and the water and nothing else. You eventually wake up with the birds singing in the morning. A lot different to most places in HK.
    If you want to be within 30 min of pretty much everywhere in HK, then location wise it fits. (TST, Central, Airport) Just look at a map and you will see that geographically Ma Wan is right in the middle of Hong Kong.
    If you are looking at the ratio price/size/new building/sea view/club house - within 30 min of Central and TST - then you will not find anywhere better in HK. I know it for a fact as I asked many estate agent to run that search for me based on those criterias.
    Again, Park Island is a bit special and does not suit everyone. HK is known for its convenience and many many shops, restaurants opened till late etc...so it might be a shame to move away from that buzz and come to a quiet island.
    Finally I'd also agree on the commute for your husband. It is feasible of course, but there might be some other places closer to his work. I honestly recommend you guys to take a serviced apartment for the first month, and go and visit many places on many areas and chose with your gut feeling

Quote Original Post:
    This forum is pretty funny. No one really listens and always tries to advertise where they live. Not only on this post, but on every single one of them.
    The only objective thing I read on this threat is to come and visit before deciding. This is very true.
    I agree with you, you are correct but, Most of us have been in HK for a while and most of chose where we live, if I thought Park Island/Kowloon/whatever was better than Tuen Mun I could move there tomorrow, similarly, randy1 obviously genuinely believes that PI is heaven on earth, (My only good memory was a kebab and 1000s of people having wedding pictures taken, bloody annoying as they kept getting in the way of our family portraits!!).

Obviously I can't afford to live in many parts of HK but, I honestly believe that if I was wealthy enough to buy on The Peak I'd buy a house in the NTs and an apartment in a peaceful, cooler country not be living in Hong Kong full-time!

I think the reason we propose where we live is because we genuinely love the areas that we live in. It then annoys us when we see people give misinformation, or at least, what we perceive as misinformation about where we live. Just hate it when newbies come on and are told they can't get a place for under 20k and crap like that.... Personally, I would want to be on 150-200k before I spent 20k on rent!

I wouldn't recommend Tuen Mun for someone working in Tai Po but I would suggest considering it for Kowloon or Central because it's a fantastic place for living and the rental costs cannot even be compared!

People knock MIN07 for suggesting TM for airport staff yet many people choose to commute to the airport from here....not just people living in Sino either....lot of cabin crew in my village and I know of others and pilots in So Kwun Wat...

If you want to hang about drinking in LKF then TM is not for you and quite frankly, we don't want you!
    Last edited by bryant.english; 14-09-2012 at 10:28 PM.
    MovingIn07 likes this.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast