Like Tree56Likes

Accommodation on Park Island

Reply
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
  1. #31

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,893

    Hmm, I must be making that all up. Hundreds of aircraft taking off on full thrust just kilometers away and turning south right on top of Park Island. The fact that the Park Island Owners’ Committee is complaining about aircraft noise to the beloved government, the Airport Authority and LegCo etc is also made up. It is surely very quite and all frogs are happy.

    I would say Park Island is without doubt probably the second noisiest place in Hong Kong after the airport itself and probably Tung Chung when it comes to aircraft noise. But all these airplanes probably also only exist in my imagination and it is in reality very very quite.

    I am sorry, but I am just puzzled by you guys. Nothing personal. You remind me of the said people who REALLY SHOUT BACK AT ME because all the aircraft noise at the beach on park island when I ask them about it and they say it's all fine and very very quite.



    Fact is:

    Geoexpaters living there love it and say it's silent like hell, birds are chirping and frogs do their thing too. It's in general the quitest place in Hong Kong and paradise on earth. I am not just referring to this thread but older ones too.

    Owners Committee is complaining to everyone about aircraft noise.

    According to my friends at the airport a few (hundred) planes fly over PI every day. And very low too and often on full throttle.

    Everyone's tolerance for noise is different and as you can see not even the inhabitants of PI are sure if it's noisy or not.

    Good night.

    Last edited by 100LL; 14-09-2012 at 10:40 PM.
    bryant.english and TheBrit like this.

  2. #32

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Tuen Mun
    Posts
    6,196
    Quote Originally Posted by 100LL
    Geoexpaters living there love it
    That's what gets me about DB. I heard heaven on earth for families, blah blah. Well, we went and checked it out and......it is a nice place, no doubt, but........speaking to people living there we found out that there is a shortage of parks for kids because the developers buggered off without building the ones they promised to.

    A few of the 'regular' buses went by too full for us to get on.....we found out that this, again, is a big complaint against the developer. Don't even get me started on the 17 minute commute from DB to Central

  3. #33

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Gold Coast Marina
    Posts
    17,970
    Quote Originally Posted by Mat
    To add on my post above. My wife has done for a few months Goldcoast/Kowloon Tong and it was really tough. We moved out of GC partly because of this 4 years qgo. After two years in Hunghom (great) we moved some place close to Sham Tseng and she does the trip to Kowloon Tong daily. She.is fine with it but she would not do it again from GC. It takes her around 45 mn each way on normal days. Never leas than this.

    It was well over an hour from GC.

    Sent from my GT-I9210 using GeoClicks Mobile
    According to the MTR journey planner, Shek Kip Mei is 20 mins from Tsing Yi MTR and 22 mins from Tsuen Wan MTR. I believe you can get to both of them from Park Island (possibly Tsuen Wan West only, not sure) - but you have to allow for interchange. That was where I got my 40 mins from - 20 for the ferry/bus and 20 for the MTR. I think add some for interchange and waiting and you get the hour Mat mentioned.

    From GC, you can get to Tsuen Wan MTR or Tsing Yi MTR in 20-25 mins (either by shuttle bus or light mini bus, not by the big buses that take longer) so that's why I thought it was much the same as Park Island.

    But I agree, an hour is a long commute. The other side of HK (Shatin/Tai Wai side) may be easier. No idea of prices there; my impression (and I have never lived there so it's ONLY an impression) is that it's more "local" and less "expatty" over that side, but you'd have to come and look to see for your self.

  4. #34

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Sai Kung
    Posts
    8,569

    hmmmm... i lived in db for 6+ years, we never experienced a "shortage of parks". each village has it's own playground... and of course, you can go to any of them.

    as for buses: we lived for a couple of years in one of the "busiest" parts of db and NEVER did we miss a bus because it was too full...

    but again, i just lived there, i wasn't visiting... so i probably don't know what i'm talking about.


  5. #35

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Tuen Mun
    Posts
    6,196
    Quote Originally Posted by carang
    but again, i just lived there, i wasn't visiting... so i probably don't know what i'm talking about.
    How long ago did you live there?

    I'm not trying to be argumentative but this seemed a problem that has developed as more people have moved to the area.

    We visited about a year ago and all the buses we saw were rammed, in fact, the whole place was rammed.

    Speaking to local people, they also complained that more vehicles were being allowed in and that, during the week, vans and lorries fly about all over the place.

    Don't get me wrong, I can understand the appeal...but...

  6. #36

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    18,390
    Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07
    According to the MTR journey planner, Shek Kip Mei is 20 mins from Tsing Yi MTR and 22 mins from Tsuen Wan MTR. I believe you can get to both of them from Park Island (possibly Tsuen Wan West only, not sure) - but you have to allow for interchange. That was where I got my 40 mins from - 20 for the ferry/bus and 20 for the MTR. I think add some for interchange and waiting and you get the hour Mat mentioned.

    From GC, you can get to Tsuen Wan MTR or Tsing Yi MTR in 20-25 mins (either by shuttle bus or light mini bus, not by the big buses that take longer) so that's why I thought it was much the same as Park Island.

    But I agree, an hour is a long commute. The other side of HK (Shatin/Tai Wai side) may be easier. No idea of prices there; my impression (and I have never lived there so it's ONLY an impression) is that it's more "local" and less "expatty" over that side, but you'd have to come and look to see for your self.
    Note to the OP - Movingin07 is famous for blatant fabrication of commute times. A good yardstick is to take what she claims and add 50%. If she mentions Gold Coast, add 75%.

  7. #37

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    18,390
    Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english
    How long ago did you live there?

    I'm not trying to be argumentative but this seemed a problem that has developed as more people have moved to the area.
    You are dead right about this. Lots of carang's observations would have been accurate 15 years ago, but now they are completely outdated. DB used to be a cheap, quiet expat enclave but now it's expensive, overcrowded and your point about the buses is spot on.

  8. #38

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Sai Kung
    Posts
    8,569

    things may have changed... we moved away from there 5 years ago, but still have loads of friends who live there.

    my views are NOT 15 years old... although there are days it feels like it could be so.


  9. #39

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Sai Kung
    Posts
    8,569

    still don't think that there is a shortage of parks. as i said, every village is laid out with it's own playground area. people are free to use any one they like. at our last place, there were two of them. neither of which was ever busy.


  10. #40

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    6,088
    Quote Originally Posted by njaeger
    This forum is pretty funny. No one really listens and always tries to advertise where they live. Not only on this post, but on every single one of them.
    I don't. I don't want anyone else living where I do!
    100LL likes this.

Reply
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast