Apartment/Flat in New Territory (East)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Apartment/Flat in New Territory (East)

Hi

I am looking out for a semifurnished apartment/flat in and around New territory (East).

My budget is 7500 HKD - 10000 HKD...

My work place would be taikooshing.. However, I am willing to commute for saving some money on accomodation...

How is the locality/ambience/people in New territory East?

Can you suggest some good real estate agents/reference areas/places that I could use for my stay in HK

My proposed stay would be for 10 months...

Thanks in Advance
    Suresh

Er, TaiKoo Shing is on HK Island - nowhere near New Territories East. Is there some particular reason why you want to live there or have you misunderstood the geography of Hong Kong?

Also note that leases of less than 13-14 months are rather hard to come by.

Hi,

I am well aware that Taikoo Shing is in HK Island and New Territory East is far from it.

My reservation towards New territory East is due to the following reasons

1. Cost of Accomodation
    2. Reference from my earlier colleagues on the locality/neighbourhood and family orientation
    3. Willingness to spend about an hour commuting to Taikoo Shing office.

Let me know your suggestions

Regards
    Suresh

We'll need some guidance on how many people the accommodation will be for. I assume not just yourself given the family comments.

(Others are better placed than me to comment since I'm a city dweller, but I know they'll need the data)

And note my previous comment - leases of less than 13-14 months are rare.

Sai Kung is one possible area for you. Green mini bus to Hang Hau MTR station then easy from there. However, I have to repeat what PDLM said. Rentals are normally 13 months minimum - 12 months then 1 months notice.

Tseun Kwan O is rather easy to commute to TaiKoo (all by MTR) and is in the Eastern Part of the NT. Rents are cheap too (600sq for around 8.5K in a new building with facilities) but it would be for a 12 + 2 months basis usually

I have to agree with Flathunter, Sai Kung is going to be your best value family friendly " low density" neighbourhood. We lived in Sai Kung for 3 years, talking from somebody who has lived there, its one of the nicer area's of Hong Kong.

Traditionally Sai Kung appealed to self funded families, who didnt have housing allowances, but its starting to change since some expats are getting squeezed out of HK island due to rent hikes, and moving into the Sai Kung / Hebe Haven / Clearwater Bay area..

Saikung

You should still be able to get a 2 or 3 bedroom place of around 700FT2, for under $8000.00 per month if you are willing to to live toward Tai Mong Tsai, about 8 minutes by public mini bus or car, from Sai Kung town. Lovely spot, but no longer the best kept secret it once was. Worth it though, as the Sai Kung community is a very close one, and people will know you by name, you arent just another face in the crowd, because its never crowded, although weekends can be busy due to day tripper visitors.

Other area's you might consider if you are trying to achieve affordable family friendly housing, would be Discovery Bay, Tuen Muns Gold Coast and Clear Water Bay. Travel times are going to vary between 45 - 75 minutes to Tai Koo Shing, worth it when you consider your wife/childrens locality happiness, and in turn less pressure on you.
    Gold Coast Tuen Mun

Clearwater Bay

Discovery Bay

Rents for the above will range from $8000 to about $11,000 for upto 800ft2 and 3 bedrooms. Also, like whats been explained to you already, it is extremely unlikely that you will get a lease for less than 13 months. So you will have to budget 13 months rent into your 10.

Hope that gives you a better perspective of whats available to you, with a couple of alternative locations included for good measure.
    Last edited by Skyhook; 04-01-2008 at 11:06 AM.

Best bets are to factor in the 12-13 month price into the 10 months that you're looking at and just sign a lease.

Another idea maybe to look for another tenant to move in at around the time that you leave, and transfer the lease if the landlord is happy to rewrite a new contract providing you have a tenant ready to move in. Worst case scenario is you may sacrifice one months rent.

Just a thought ....

Thanks a ton for all your guidance and inputs.. I recently visited a flat in Laguna City, Phase IV 5-10 mins from Lam Tin .. A fully furnished One at 10,300 HKD...

Should I go?? The ambience and facilities looks excellent ... Good for Family.. Any thoughts and suggestion.

My go for Lam Tin is for two reasons. I will be shunting between Kowloon Bay and Taikoo Shing

Also I wanted to have fully furnished apartments and with my budeget seems to be difficult to get if commutation is less

Suresh

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast