Like Tree8Likes

Between Central and Sai Kung

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Cool Between Central and Sai Kung

Hi People,

Me and my future wife are moving to Hong Kong on Friday. WOOO! We are temporarily staying in Hung Hom until we find the perfect place to rent an apartment.

I am going to be working in Sai Kung and my girlfriend in Central, I am trying to work out where we should be looking to stay. Ideally we would live in Central close to the action but price and commute dictate its a no goer. Our budget is 15 to 20k and we would like a sea view.

We have been looking around Kowloon Mong Kok or down near Hang Hau.

Any help on areas to look at and commuting to Sai Kung would be utterly fabulous.

Many thanks

Dom

hang hau would be best for the two of you. you can catch the minibus easily enough as you will be going in the opposite direction from everyone else and your wife can jump on the MTR.

getting to SK from Hung Hom will be a PITA though....

ps>you're not going to get a seaview place in mongkok... also, mongkok is incredibly busy. i would make sure to visit around 8pm one evening to see if you really want to live here. personally, i loathe mongkok. it is just too busy/crowded.

Skyhook likes this.

Depends! Lots of people come here going on about wanting to be where the 'action' is. Well in Mong Kok you'd get a lot of action.....people walking about buying crap all day. In Central there's hardly any action, it's so crowded.

If you mean bars and clubs, if you're not doing that every day I wouldn't let that decide where you live......10-15k of your drinking money will be gone on the extra rent.

I wouldn't compromise. Live in Sai Kung. 100% of you will love where you live and you can get a sea view with your money. Her commute is less than an hour, buy her a Hello Kitty iPod.

Last edited by bryant.english; 27-09-2012 at 07:42 AM.
    carang and Skyhook like this.

best thing to do is wait until you are on the ground. then look at hang hau and look at sai kung. also look at mongkok and anywhere else that might tickle your fancy.

then see what you can get for your budget. to remember each place, take photos, so you really are comparing and not mis-remembering what places were like. then you can see what you will get for your budget and decide where you guys want to live.

Skyhook likes this.

I agree with Bryant but if one was using public transport every day, then Clear Water Bay at the Silver Strand end would fit the bill...It is quite a quick mini bus ride to Hang Hau MTR from there, you'll get the convenience of Hang Hau MTR and an awesome sea/island/mountain view while avoiding being stuck in a high rise.

Last edited by Skyhook; 27-09-2012 at 07:48 AM.
    carang and bryant.english like this.

I say the commute all the way from sai kung to central will cause depression! and that road is about to be done so expect 2 years of tail backs... hang hau is a better option - stuff to do and food.

but if you want a quieter life there are many places actually along clearwater bay road.. las pinadas - to fei ngo shan -

actually there are supermarket's at razor hill and modern style gated complexes - and at silver strand. altho the villiage house rooftop could be a great option ( Pik Uk ? or the villages below there have good views )

silver strand means walking to a beach is possible- altho thats not the best beach ever - that would be clearwater bay beaches.. but those put you into a realm of remoteness in terms of daily commute

their budget is $15-20k....

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    their budget is $15-20k....
    Which pretty much vetoes any gated villa complexes in the Sai Kung district ( CWB falls under ) which will cost anywhere between $35K - $90K per month depending on the size of villa.

A 3 bedroom top floor village house with roof terrace located by the bay or high enough up a hill/incline that a view of the bay is still possible, will be within Doms budget. Pik Uk is on the wrong side of the road to get a view of the bay, you need to be on the Pik Sha road side of the bay if a sea view is to be achieved...

So yeah, a top floor, 3 bedroom village house between Silver Strand and Pik Uk would be ideal, being an easy/fast mini bus ride to Hang Hau MTR and Dom either getting a taxi or mini bus or 2 to Sai Kung. Ticks all the right boxes as far as I can see....
    Last edited by Skyhook; 27-09-2012 at 10:19 AM.

oh skyhook got that one then!

Skyhook likes this.

Ma On Shan May be another option but it's mostly high-rise apartments. Not a lot of westerners but the supermarkets are pretty big .

Two buses head to Central/admiralty at frequent intervals and a regular bus to Sai Kung.

Lake Silver is a nice development.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast