Like Tree105Likes

Larvotto - windows falling!

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger:
    I blame the mainlanders.
    be careful... they often do!

Quote Originally Posted by simoncox:
    I'm a resident of Larvotto, but haven't heard anything about windows falling out. Has anyone had any confirmation from a reliable source that this is an issue?
    I live at Larvotto too and can confirm that the outdoor pool was closed yesterday. The staff on duty told me that a window on the 11th floor in Tower 3 had fallen and hence the pool was closed .
    TheBrit, shri and climber07 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger:
    I blame the mainlanders.
    It's more than likely the glass was manufactured on the mainland. The rubber sealing too would have been also.

I also suspect some of the workers would have been mainlanders too or at the very least the workers would have had a cousin or distant relative living on the mainland.

So I think your suspicion would be more than likely accurate....

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    I have to say that I am deeply suspicious of this sort of "a friend told me" stuff that gets passed around amongst (generally) the tai-tais of this town. There have been previous similar cases which turned out to be complete bullshit (child abductions was the last one if I recall correctly).
    Not BS and in this case and i believe in previous cases it was all 'a friend of a friend said...', whereas this is someone i know and see quite regularly. I know the woman quite well and have since spoken with her and another resident with children who cancelled a playdates because of the issue. The other woman lives in Tower 3 and also saw the window which fell to the pool area.

Quote Originally Posted by simoncox:
    I'm a resident of Larvotto, but haven't heard anything about windows falling out. Has anyone had any confirmation from a reliable source that this is an issue?
    Just ask the management, and insist they do a check of your windows. They will.
    shri and simoncox like this.

If the management don't address the problem then call the HK Building Department - they surely would force a complete inspection and explanation.

The famous story in Canada is of the Toronto lawyer who used to demonstrate how tough the glass was in the Toronto Dominion Centre by going full blast into the glass so show those who were new to the firm how there was nothing to fear. I think all the new articling students would get this show every year...but... eventually the glass caved in.

This is for the few people that have not heard this 14 year-old story: Gary Hoy, a partner at the firm, would periodically throw himself against the window of high-up floors in the Toronto-Dominion Centre to show that the glass was extremely strong. At an evening party, he did this trick again and succeeded. On his second attempt, however, he crashed through the window of the 24th floor, falling 72 meters to his death.

The firm, then dealing with merger woes, also had to deal with this controversial and public death. They closed soon afterwards amidst unpaid bills and compensation.
    http://www.blogto.com/city/2007/05/l...nadas_largest/

As I twice posted the Building Department (not the police) are the right authorities to deal with BUILDING issues. It would be up to the owner of the building to call the police if there was some sort of crime committed in faulty construction. Not sure why people think the police should be called for every issue of concern to the public when there are other relevant departments to handle issues.

But as this site says on this page - they do inspections and do respond to complaints which if possibly the residents might want done.

Carang's issue is precisely what they need to do here. There is a building in To Kwa Wan where the cement from the over hang fell one evening about 30 feet ahead of where I was walking. I see when back there recently the entire overhang has had to be redone. The authorities were there.

http://www.bd.gov.hk/english/service...MBIS_MWIS.html

Last edited by Football16; 09-10-2012 at 10:23 AM.
    shri likes this.

as far as i know, my partners have contacted the buildings dept.

i wasn't at work when they contacted the police.

the problem we are encountering is this:
    (1) we are on the podium above a shopping centre, our landlord is the shopping centre, but we are located directly under the residential buildings
    (2) shopping centre management pass the ball to the residential building's incorporated owners, saying, it has nothing to do with the shopping centre
    (2) incorporated owners pass it off to individual landlords saying it is up to them
    (3) individual landlords say they can't do anything without the buildings incorporated owners....

so, nothing gets done and we still have cement falling onto our playground.

>> (2) incorporated owners pass it off to individual landlords saying it is up to them

If something were to happen due to negligence, the incorporated owners would be the ones who would have to accept liability.

If you feel at some point, no one is responding appropriately, go to www.directory.gov.hk and email the senior most govt official responsible for the department.

In this case it would be http://tel.directory.gov.hk/0259000032_ENG.html and politely ask them for guidance on how to approach the matter. You'll be surprised how responsive govt departments can be when you go top down.

HowardCoombs, carang, Mat and 4 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    as far as i know, my partners have contacted the buildings dept.

i wasn't at work when they contacted the police.

the problem we are encountering is this:
    (1) we are on the podium above a shopping centre, our landlord is the shopping centre, but we are located directly under the residential buildings
    (2) shopping centre management pass the ball to the residential building's incorporated owners, saying, it has nothing to do with the shopping centre
    (2) incorporated owners pass it off to individual landlords saying it is up to them
    (3) individual landlords say they can't do anything without the buildings incorporated owners....

so, nothing gets done and we still have cement falling onto our playground.
    Call Long Hair and his friends. They wi llmake sure this is addressed.
    oyl and dear giant like this.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast