Like Tree105Likes

Larvotto - windows falling!

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    I had a lot of reservations about the rant being correct or not as there were many holes in it. With so many holes, is it any wonder ppl dont believe wolf stories?

The story stunk originally and it still has big piles of sensationalist sounding soundbites. Not a good way to get one's message across.
    Claim : 750 units have floor-ceiling windows. Truth : its 715 units

A minor inaccuracy and not relevant to the issue of windows falling out

Claim : the largest window (12 ft by 12 ft) Truth : the ceiling height is not 12ft let alone the window

The ceiling height in my friends unit is 3.5m which is roughly 12 ft and the window in question is floor to ceiling

Claim : Would have killed me & my daughter had we arrived home from nursery 5 minutes later. Truth : Unverifiable sensationalism.

Am pretty sure a large window falling from height onto you will result in serious injury or death

Claim : We now hear that a further 5 windows have fallen out this yr. Truth : SCMP says nothing about this and no one else has come forward. Is it truth or made up conspiracy story?

Management wouldn't verify - some of the units were unoccupied at the time so no tenants to verify, a number of people have pictures of them which have been provided to the officials investigationg.

Claim : They have no plans to check other units. Truth : How did the writer know this?

Management told them directly that they were not going to check the other windows unless asked by residents. Call the management and ask if you don't believe them.

Why are so many people trying to poke holes in a story that at its core is a serious safety issue for residents of a certain housing complex?! Even if only a small percentage of the total number of windows fail, the fact that more than one or two have fallen seems to indicate the presence of a risk, that while perhaps low, can cause very serious harm. Anyway, I'm done with this tread. If you live at Larvotto good luck dealing with the management and contractor. There is a group email list addressing the issue amongst residents and if you live there and would like to be included please send me a PM so that I can put you in touch with other residents concerned about this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by elliee:
    Why are so many people trying to poke holes in a story that at its core is a serious safety issue for residents of a certain housing complex?!
    I cant speak for others but for me, the missive read and sounded very sensational. I kept my mouth shut as others were already echoing what was going thru my head.

I'm speaking now only to defend those skeptics and give them a bit of support; if they hadn't said anything I would have as it didn't sounds right.

The fast that skeptics were shown to be wrong does not take away from the fact that the story had holes in it which caused it to be not immediately believed.

No matter what the safety issue (kidnappers in Ocean park, mainlanders targeting kids etc), stories need to be scrutinized and verified.
    Last edited by HowardCoombs; 10-10-2012 at 01:27 PM.
    bryant.english and Lootoo like this.

Thank god HC isn't an Investigator with the HK Crime Squad (well hope not) as any report by a resident would result in skepticism and no investigation.

dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by virago:
    Thank god HC isn't an Investigator with the HK Crime Squad (well hope not) as any report by a resident would result in skepticism and no investigation.
    I'm imagining that you failed science class...I'm also guessing that you believed everything your parents, teachers and other elders told you...

Skepticism is not a bad thing and contrary to your assertion, skepticism does not lead to "no investigation". Skepticism is required for rational and logical thought and action as well as a proper investigation.
    Last edited by HowardCoombs; 10-10-2012 at 02:51 PM.
    Football16 and Lootoo like this.

I'm imagining that you failed science class...I'm also guessing that you believed everything your parents, teachers and other elders told you...

Skepticism is not a bad thing and contrary to your assertion, skepticism does not lead to no investigation. Skepticism is required for rational and logical thought and action.
    No problem but all you have done is make some irrational comments because someone else was crying wolf over abductions at Ocean Park. But when it comes to safety issues like this one you seem to discount it completely. If it was a work place would this issue be any different?

FYI, our building in China which is about 3 years old had a piece of stone fall onto a car about 3 months ago. The Management investigated and found that there was fractures in one section corner. They spent about 6 days removing and fixing new panels. AND that's in China a might add with a Management which I think is not great at all.

In fact i did excel in science but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand the laws of gravity....
    dear giant likes this.

I am not attacking the OP for posting this as OP knew the person who told them this as a fact.

In typical Geoexpat fashion when the thread has nothing new to offer the attacks start on the posters who did the wise thing and questioned this based on how it was written. If they knew the OP they might have not suggested to wait for confirmation.

Even a resident came on the site that first evening saying he had not yet a word on this and of course this would be upsetting even if you lived on the lower floors!

As some note the manner in which the opening lines called for this to be sent on urgently had all the earmarks of rumours on the internet that prove to be false. Entire websites are devoted to exposing myths and rumours like this one:

How to Make and Spread Rumors

Criteria for a Successful Rumor

» The successful rumor is easy to remember.
    » The successful rumor follows a stereotyped plot.
    » The successful rumor is a function of the momentary interests and circumstances of the group.
    » The successful rumor exploits the emotions and sentiments of the group.
    http://danzarrella.com/rumors.html#

I cant speak for others but for me, the missive read and sounded very sensational. I kept my mouth shut as others were already echoing what was going thru my head.

I'm speaking now only to defend those skeptics and give them a bit of support; if they hadn't said anything I would have as it didn't sounds right.

The fast that skeptics were shown to be wrong does not take away from the fact that the story had holes in it which caused it to be not immediately believed.

No matter what the safety issue (kidnappers in Ocean park, mainlanders targeting kids etc), stories need to be scrutinized and verified.
    to the OP: that is as close to an apology as you will ever get from HC...best to accept it and move on...
    TheBrit, wtbhotia and dear giant like this.

Truth!

Quote Originally Posted by simoncox:
    I'm a resident of Larvotto, but haven't heard anything about windows falling out. Has anyone had any confirmation from a reliable source that this is an issue?
    Yes it is true my helper and daughter saw the aftermath. A driver narrowly missed being seriously injured. Of course the management don't want anyone to know about this as it will seriously impact rents that they are now trying to put up!

It was the reason that the whole roundabout down at tower 1 and tower 2 was closed off last week.

Also myself and others previously registered to be part the Larvotto REsidents Website but we have never received our login names and passwords. Why?? because information such as this they don't want spread around.

There are major safety issues and in typical Hong Kong Chinese style they just keep quiet and hope it all goes away without anyway noticing!
    Football16 and dear giant like this.

Original Post Deleted
    Last edited by Football16; 10-10-2012 at 03:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by apdream:
    Yes it is true my helper and daughter saw the aftermath. A driver narrowly missed being seriously injured. Of course the management don't want anyone to know about this...There are major safety issues and in typical Hong Kong Chinese style they just keep quiet and hope it all goes away without anyway noticing!
    Dont worry, its pretty hard to keep such massive problems quiet especially when there are 715 flats with just as many families around to witness things.

Since you are a resident, you or neighbors may have seen the incidents: do you have any more information about 5 previous window crashes that were mentioned in the original post?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast