Like Tree2Likes

Young Expats in New Territories

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Young Expats in New Territories

Does anyone know if there are any young expats living in the new territories and if so where is a good place to live there?

My company have currently put me up in a hotel and have provided me with a housing allowance of 10k. Looking on the island or even in Kowloon you are living in a squat for that kind of money. I currently work in Cyberport which I know is going to be inconveniant where ever I am based off the island.

Would still like to enjoy the HK nightlife so if there is anywhere good near an MTR station or with relatively easy access (expat friendly) I would be grateful to know where this is.

Thanks for any help.

Have you looked at Aberdeen or Kennedy Town? alternatively, have you considered a flat share on the island?

Living in NT and commuting to Cyberport will not be much fun at all...

Look around on this blog:-

http://hongkietown.com/

somewhere he describes his NT to Cyberport commute, and it was not pretty.

In know everything about HK at the minute is not much fun to me, I would not want to flat share and I am currently based in Aberdeen which in my view is somewhat a shit hole and the locals I have seen around here pretty much wouldnt spit on you if you was on fire.

I have had a look in KT but there seems to have been a boom in the market there as quite a few people have recommended there and then have been suprised by the actual cost of property in the area. There is not many places I havent looked and with not wanting to move half way around the world to live in a dump the island seems pretty much off limits as does the vast majority of Kowloon.

I find it funny how websites refer to the mid levels as a place for young couples and singletons, although with the cost of living there I dont understand how anyone actually affords to pay it.

Quote Originally Posted by shaun_s
    I am currently based in Aberdeen which in my view is somewhat a shit hole and the locals I have seen around here pretty much wouldnt spit on you if you was on fire.
    With the former attitude, are you really surprised with the latter result?
    Aberdeen is not a luxury pad but then again your budget is not exactly great.

My next suggestion would be Lamma. There are ferries into Aberdeen with easy bus connections. It would be better than the commute from NT and you would be among more expats which would probably make you happier...
    jimbo and chingleutsch like this.

10K in Sai Wan should get you a decent size (for HK ) like 500sqft, 2 bedroom apartment, well thats what one of my mates is paying for in Nam Hung Mansions Belchers Street, I think his apartment is close to 9K per month, not sure how long that will last though with the current property market going upwards.

Just because your housing allowance is $10k doesnt mean you cant put your hand in your own pocket and top it up to look for somewhere slightly more convenient that suits you.

Just be grateful you get a housing allowance at all. I dont and pay $15k out of my own pocket and that is with a flatshare!!!

Mat

For 15K you can get something in Stanley (in the village). some small flats (500-600 sqf..)

It's pretty neat. Had a mate living there until last year and it was nice.

Last edited by Mat; 12-10-2012 at 03:12 PM.

A friend here commuted from gold coast to cyberport. 1.5 hours each way. Otherwise it would fit your criteria ... But he HATED the commute and eventually gave up the job. Personally I don't think Aberdeen is any worse than many places in HK - if you hate it you probably hate HK. Its by far the most sensible place to live given your work location and budget. Suck it up - HK is different to the rest of the world. You can change your attitude easier than your housing.

Lamma seems a good idea, do you have any suggestions on where to look?

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast