Transportation to FBO at Airport

Transportation to FBO at Airport

I am a pilot moving to Hong Kong in December. I will be traveling to the FBO at the airport quite often. I have been looking at Discovery Bay to move to, but it might seem to expensive for what you get.

How far of a commute to the airport is it from the Sheung Wan/Wan Chai/Causeway Bay area?

I have looked online at Park Island. Is there much to do? Grocery shopping, restaurants, gym, etc?

How far is the commute from Kowloon to the airport?

Can anybody recommend a place to live under $25k HKD per month? Preferably a serviced apartment.

Thank you in advance!

How often is 'quite often'? If it were only a couple of times a week I wouldn't let the commute dictate my address personally....HK is a small place and it would be hard to find somewhere more than 90 minutes from the aeroport I think!

Sheung Wan/Wan Chai/Causeway Bay are all well under an hour from the aeroport but I reckon you'd get more for your money in DB, certainly in PI.....both DB and PI offer facilities such as gym/pool/restaurants/grocery stores/etc....

Nkitchen31, because you specifically want a serviced apartment, that severely restricts your choice of locations to live...

A very popular area for single pilots ( mostly American for some reason ) is the Harbourview http://www.harbourviewplace.com/ serviced apartment complex. Nicely situated to Kowloon Station via the airport express during its operational hours, obviously during out of hours you are just going to get a taxi home. No biggie..

The above has all the convenience features that you are looking for, regarding gyms, pools, quality eateries ad very easy transport to and from HKIA/HKBAC. However, majority of my colleagues who are single all tend to live around the Staunton street, in bigger non serviced conventional low rise apartment complexes, by the end of the escalator in the Mid Levels......That's where the cool kids like to play.

These sorts of places don't have facilities but will have a security doorman and a lift etc, you can join a sporting club that does offer gym and pool facilities ( The HK cricket club for example which a lot of pilots are members of ) or a private gym which there are many within 5 - 10 mins commute radius of the Mid Levels escalator... You can also hire a local ( legal ) part time cleaner ( Merry Maids / Sparkle Maids ) to come out and clean your apartment periodically should you choose to not go the serviced apartment route. Good quality used furniture can easily be sourced via the expat classifieds, Tequila Kola and Shambala brands hold their used value and popular enough to resell without much effort. If you furnished your place that way, you will end up in a better ( much more sociable ) area that is right in the thick of it.....

Last edited by Skyhook; 24-10-2012 at 09:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook
    A very popular area for single pilots ( mostly American for some reason ) is the Horizon Harbourview http://www.horizonhotels.com.hk/index_en.html serviced apartment complex. Nicely situated to Kowloon Station via the airport express during its operational hours, obviously during out of hours you are just going to get a taxi home. No biggie..
    Unless they moved Horizon Harbourview, this was over at Hung Hom last time I checked. I think you are trying to recommend this place

http://www.harbourviewplace.com/

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit
    Unless they moved Horizon Harbourview, this was over at Hung Hom last time I checked. I think you are trying to recommend this place

http://www.harbourviewplace.com/
    Thanks the Brit, that's the one...

I've amended my previous post...

I don't think that Harbour View place is in my budget by looking at it.

By often I mean a few days a week. The reason I said serviced is because they seem to be the "nicer" places. I need some place that is furnished and not old.