Tai Wai

Tai Wai

Ok noone got back to me about Kowloon Tong. so the travewl agent has recommended Tai Wai- rents are lower. Does anyone live in Tai Wai and how is it to live there and also to commute from TW to Kowloon Tong .

tx

Hi there. I saw your budget on the other thread and to be honest it's not a lot! It would certainly have not got you anything in Kowloon Tong. In Tai Wai there are a few places in your budget but not a great deal. Green View Gardens and Golden Lion Gardens will have places in your budget and possibly places such as Holford Gardens or Grandway Gardens. These are all older apartment blocks, 20+ years.

Alternatively you can consider a village house in the area. Pretty unique as most village houses in the area are convenient for pretty much everything.

The area itself has a lot of expats, there are quite a lot of bars and restaurants. It can be busy and the train station can be a nightmare at rush hour. That said the train from Tai Wai to Kowloon Tong is 4 minutes. Central takes 30 mins, and China a bit less. So pretty convenient place to be if you travel both north and south for work.

Quote Originally Posted by jazinhk:
    Ok noone got back to me about Kowloon Tong. so the travewl agent has recommended Tai Wai- rents are lower. Does anyone live in Tai Wai and how is it to live there and also to commute from TW to Kowloon Tong .

tx
    JK's info already gives you an idea of Tai Wai, and it's a nice enough area with lots of transport options - but... it's still a little out of the way.

Well, my suggestion (but I don't think you've much time to go looking as you've a "deadline"!) is to try renting in older districts just next to Kowloon Tong on the MTR train line, e.g. Lok Fu or Wong Tai Sin.

For HK$9K or slightly more, there should be an OK one-bedroom flat in and around Wong Tai Sin (better if at the end closer to newer Diamond Hill) with lots of buses and frequent trains, taking you less than 15mins to and from Kowloon Tong - convenient.

Down sides: IMO, very, very few expats there, and it's quite an urban built-up area.

Best of luck.

Tx!

Thank you or your advice. I will look into those areas.

what is IMO?

Tx

IMO - in my opinion
    IMHO - in my humble opinion

IMHO, Tai Wai is pretty nice. Got friends, chinese couple, fresh grads, sharing an apartment, fairly nice, maybe 40sqm, bedroom, living room, kitchen, bathroom for 5400. 10 minutes walk to the station. I think 9K should find you something nice as long you're not looking for a services apartment with all amenities. Depends all on what standards you're used to. Gotta say I enjoy my life here with the 12K my postgrad studentship pays me - enough expats seem to spend that or more on booze alone....
    Btw, if you enjoy hiking like me, Wilson trail runs by the eastern rim of Tai Wai.

Last edited by er2; 27-01-2008 at 12:05 AM.