Like Tree5Likes

Shared work/living space

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Shared work/living space

Back in the home I rented an industrial loft in a commercial building. It was zoned for work and for residential.

Are there any such work/live spaces in Hong Kong for artists or small home-businesses?

Thanks!

They are rare here and usually illegal rather than specifically zoned as such, from what I can understand. Although some exist. I looked at an office building a while back that was in a building zoned industrial and the agent mentioned that it was techically illegal but provided everyone kept their heads down nobody would get done. We had to pretend we had some "operations" apparently and this was just a head office. That was too sneaky for us (we are an entirely white collar firm) so we didnt rent it. That was the only one I came across and I think residential in industrial buildings is even less common.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    They are rare here and usually illegal rather than specifically zoned as such, from what I can understand. Although some exist. I looked at an office building a while back that was in a building zoned industrial and the agent mentioned that it was techically illegal but provided everyone kept their heads down nobody would get done. We had to pretend we had some "operations" apparently and this was just a head office. That was too sneaky for us (we are an entirely white collar firm) so we didnt rent it. That was the only one I came across and I think residential in industrial buildings is even less common.
    Hi MovingIn07
    Interesting...
    Just curious which neighborhood was the property in?
    I'd be interested in a industrial living/work space... the "gray area" wouldn't be much of a problem for me, come Fall, I might only be in HK 2 weeks out of the month..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kmn911:
    Hi MovingIn07
    Interesting...
    I'd be interested in a industrial living/work space... the "gray area" wouldn't be much of a problem for me, come Fall, I might only be in HK 2 weeks out of the month..

Thanks
    THat particular one was in Li Chi Kok, on Castle Peak Road.
    kmn911 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kmn911:
    Hi MovingIn07
    Interesting...

Thanks
    Other options would be to get a shop with a front onto the street with an added living space generally upstairs but they can be expensive in any location.

Sent from somewhere....
    kmn911 likes this.

There are a few buildings in the Wong Chuk Hang area doing this. I know someone who lives in an industrial unit there and apparently the knocks on the door are becoming more frequent, to the point he has decided not to renew his lease. He has an awesome space, it won't be easy downsizing to a normal HK apartment after that!

jayinhongkong likes this.

In my office building I estimate that 30% are apartments/offices. Great for security.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiona in HKG:
    the knocks on the door are becoming more frequent!
    By knocks, you mean city inspectors? how has he been able to avoid them so far when they come knocking? If city inspectors really wanted to check the place out couldn't they force the landlord to open it for them? Or just break down the door if they have a warrant. I guess government employees in HK have less power than they do in the US

Quote Originally Posted by INXS:
    In my office building I estimate that 30% are apartments/offices. Great for security.
    wow thats a pretty big portion of the building

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast