Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By HK_Katherine
  • 1 Post By Raccon

Lohas Park or similar.....

Lohas Park or similar.....

We've been living in HK for 5 years, of which 2 years on Park Island and now 3 on HK Island..

Had enough of HK Island rents and we're looking a little further out..Lohas Park comes into view... So the positives seem to be related to negatives (perceived or real) -

1- There is a smell / there isn't - I've heard if you're on a sea facing there is less/no smell
    2- It's a little "far out" (only 25mins from Central I guess)..
    3- It has limited shops??
    4- There's construction going on??

I've not been out there to look yet, but to get 1300sqft for HKD$19-20K seems like a pretty good deal and you don't need a car..

Would really like other folks opinions/experiences etc....

Ta very much,

I've heard the expansion of the landfill is still under consideration. Better to be aware of that.

MTR website has 34 mins to Central but trains are not frequent (every 4th train on the TKO line comes from/goes to LOHAS Park during morning/evening rush, and shuttle trains to Tiu Keng Leng during the day.

Finally a Wellcome there but very little else.

Yes, now that the superincinerator has been shelved, likely expansion of SENT will follow...

Lots more construction (the original plan was for ~50 towers) including the Cross Bay Link which will land somewhere west of LOHAS Park in the Industrial Park...

Last edited by anothercanuck; 13-12-2012 at 04:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by anothercanuck:
    Lots more construction (the original plan was for ~50 towers) including the Cross Bay Link which will land somewhere west of LOHAS Park in the Industrial Park...
    And people will buy those flats knowing there's a landfill nearby and THEN complain about the smell and garbage trucks passing by.

Taking into account walking time to the station and waiting for the infrequent trains Central is more like 45-55 minutes away.

Apartments are somewhat cheaper than comparable units in TKO but the landfill and construction could be an issue. The smell will be there no matter which side you are facing, in fact the sea-view of the current towers is also the side where the landfill is. Can't say how bad it is right there but there are days when I can smell it across the bay, which is when it's really really bad.

For shopping you can head to East Point City in Hang Hau, there is Taste supermarket.

dear giant likes this.

update on lohas park

Hi. I am seriously considering an apartment in lohas area. have the conditions improved?
    does it still smell on summer days and are there any issues on the quality of water?

please help. thanks!

The landfill only takes dry construction waste. It is to be closed soon. The air doesnt smell any worse than other parts of HK.

I’m really thinking of staying in Hemera. Is the air as bad as they say. My son iOS ashthmatic and I’m really worried but we get a bit more space there?

Quote Originally Posted by jonfrench:
    I’m really thinking of staying in Hemera. Is the air as bad as they say. My son iOS ashthmatic and I’m really worried but we get a bit more space there?
    Is the air as bad as who says?

Nowhere in Hong Kong has good air. I find the air in Tseung Kwan O a bit better than, say, Mong Kok or Kwun Tong, purely because the buildings are not close together and there is plenty of airflow. This reduces roadside pollution, but does nothing about the pollution already in the air during winter.

There is no landfill smell anymore that I have noticed, did get it a bit 5-6 years ago, but not now. You may find the construction noise and traffic more of a worry as plans have been approved to build several new tower block estates all around the perimeter of TKO. But then Lohas Park is always under construction so that is a given for there.

Buy good air purifiers wherever you live in Hong Kong.

I wouldn't worry about the "only one in 4 trains" stuff either. Its usually pretty easy once you live in a place to figure out when the bus/train/ferry you need actually comes and plan for it so you don't hang around waiting. MTR has a schedule, you just need to figure out what it is.

imparanoic and kimwy66 like this.