Like Tree13Likes

Premium rental / location

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

The Macdonell Rd and Old Peak Road is also a nice area and more convenient to Central, LKF and Soho but the local supermarket(Fusion) is a bit small. It's not too far from Great or Taste but not an easy walk. If you're the kind of person that likes to drive then it might be better. It's true that Stubbs Rd can get busy but the unending stairs take me 2-3 minutes going up and less going down. If you're the kind of person who doesn't like to walk for a few minutes, Shiu Fai Terrace is a bit isolated but that's what I like about it. This morning it took me just over 10 minutes to get there walking from Times Squarein CWB on my way to Bowen Rd(very easy access from any of the places mentioned) which is one of the nicer place to take a walk or run on the Island. Another 2-3 minutes of "unending stairs" from Shiu Fai Terrace...

Last edited by gilleshk; 20-12-2012 at 04:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:
    The Macdonell Rd and Old Peak Road is also a nice area and more convenient to Central, LKF and Soho but the local supermarket(Fusion) is a bit small. It's not too far from Great or Taste but not an easy walk. If you're the kind of person that likes to drive then it might be better. It's true that Stubbs Rd can get busy but the unending stairs take me 2-3 minutes going up and less going down. If you're the kind of person who doesn't like to walk for a few minutes, Shiu Fai Terrace is a bit isolated but that's what I like about it. This morning it took me just over 10 minutes to get there walking from Times Squarein CWB on my way to Bowen Rd(very easy access from any of the places mentioned) which is one of the nicer place to take a walk or run on the Island. Another 2-3 minutes of "unending stairs" from Shiu Fai Terrace...
    gill, first Fusion is as big as Taste for sure and the walk there takes 5 minutes from mid levels central. second, walking up the Shui Fai Stairs in 3 minutes by 33 degrees and 98% humidity? really? Sorry, I don't believe... I'm a very fit person and love sport activities, but after stressful work day, thats not my idea of fitness. BTW, after rain (and it rains a lot in HK) these stairs are so dangerous slippery!
    Sorry again, I would never recommend SFT. With budget 200.000 HKD you can do much better in more convenient locations!
    TheBrit likes this.

Guys, a person with a budget of 100-200K will not be walking anywhere in 98% humidity. Those that have such budgets will also have budget for a car&driver (plus much more).

carang likes this.

Parkview has all you need. Super Market, club house, Walking trails, 10 minutes from Causeway Bay and Wachai. Shuttle bus.

http://www.hongkongparkview.com/

Ultimately it's a personal choice. I prefer Shiu Fai Terrace to MacDonnell/Old Peak/Mid Levels and have several friends that made the same choice however I can see others might have a different viewpoint depending on their lifestyle. There are many with that kind of budget that live up on the Peak or Black's Link/Parkview, Shouson Hill, Red Hill or Repulse Bay. To each his own... It's fair enough to point drawbacks however ultimately the OP will have a look and make his own choice according to his/her priorities.

Parkview is quite popular with the well to do, there are several schools minutes from there and the Hong Kong Cricket Club. Great views on the occasional clear day and you have hiking trails at your doorstep. It's a bit further and more isolated and someone might have a problem with traffic on Stubbs Rd.

BTW I had a car, driver and a cook forced on me while in Africa and I still enjoyed walking everywhere and cooking regularly in my own time. Different strokes for different folks...

papaya likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    Guys, a person with a budget of 100-200K will not be walking anywhere in 98% humidity. Those that have such budgets will also have budget for a car&driver (plus much more).
    Howard, big players don't like to waste time. And that's what will happen while going Stubbs Rd, no matter if in youe own car+driver or in a cab. time is money!

Quote Originally Posted by papaya:
    Howard, big players don't like to waste time. And that's what will happen while going Stubbs Rd, no matter if in youe own car+driver or in a cab. time is money!
    And yet you go up that road to get to Parkview/Black's link and Repulse Bay Rd which are packed with luxury villas and "big players" as you call it.

Not to mention Shouson Hill, Red Hill and Shek O which are even further away... even the peak itself isn't exactly super convenient to get to either.

In fact, it seems the further up the hill you are, the more you pay and the more prestige there is...

There isn't just one answer, it's a personal choice regardless of time or money.
    Last edited by gilleshk; 20-12-2012 at 10:00 PM.
    papaya likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    Honestly : I know many within that bracket (just got back from dinner with one tonight) and not a single one of them has a choice to save any of it. They all seem to have a use it or lose it type of arrangement.
    papaya and carang like this.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    Honestly : I know many within that bracket (just got back from dinner with one tonight) and not a single one of them has a choice to save any of it. They all seem to have a use it or lose it type of arrangement.
    We deal with this kind of arrangement. Looking for something below the budget doesn't make any sense. Would be great to make some additional savings, but that's not how it works....

May I suggest park island?