Like Tree7Likes

landlord wants me to go; compensation I can expect?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

landlord wants me to go; compensation I can expect?

Hi,

Here is my question. I have a fixed term tenancy, expiring in 3 months. My landlord wants me out. I do not have to move out. He is offering 1 month rent if I leave 2 months early or one-half month rent if I leave 1 month early.

Is that reasonable? Anyone know the normal amount of compensation in this situation? I could move out but I don't want to take a bad deal. Thanks!

shri likes this.

When I signed my lease, I was told that if either party wanted to terminate the lease early, we had to pay the remaining rent due. So if rent was 10k/month, your landlord would have to pay you 20k if you move out 2 months early. Check your contract to see what it says

Sounds fair to me. What do you want from him ? Probably small room for negotiation but if I was the landlord I would be quite offended if you started to use the word "compensation".

you would be offended that you are breaking the lease and the tenant wants to be fairly compensated? just as you would if the tenant was to break the contract? you don't think it "fair" that the landlord pay the legally required compensation?

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    you would be offended that you are breaking the lease and the tenant wants to be fairly compensated? just as you would if the tenant was to break the contract? you don't think it "fair" that the landlord pay the legally required compensation?
    Who said anything about the Landlord breaking the Lease? According to the info provided by the OP, they are in dialogue about possible termination of Contract as OP does not have to take the financial incentive offered. IMO, its a little premature to be using the word compensation.
    bryant.english likes this.

he said that the lease is up in 3 months but the landlord wants him to leave 1-2 months early... that is breaking the lease... how else would you interpret it?

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    he said that the lease is up in 3 months but the landlord wants him to leave 1-2 months early... that is breaking the lease... how else would you interpret it?
    I see your point, but my intepretation takes into context that it is impossible for the Landlord to break the lease in this scenario (unless he sends in the heavies).
    bryant.english likes this.

Well whats your plan thereafter? January might be able to snatch up some deals. You could ask for 1.5 months and bargain it.

I'd bargain for the compensation of full rent instead of half, if you have a place to go.

I'd look for a place to go and it you find something suitable at a reasonable price, take the money and move. If not, stay put.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast