Like Tree65Likes

Sea Ranch - Mystery hotel on island to Macau

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

I've walked through the place twice. There were a couple of security guards hanging around, but they didn't try to stop me.

jayinhongkong likes this.

... so I was there about a year ago, and walked around freely without being stopped.

Hiked there again today - but eagle eyed security guard cycled over to remind me that i'm not allowed "inside" the estate (although the outer path and thoroughfare from pier is public land, as is the beach itself).

I'm kicking myself for not booking the AirBNB listing at Sea Ranch last summer. It's no longer listed, and whilst there could be a number of reasons, I wonder if snooty complaining neighbours has anything to do with it...!

(I'm also kicking myself for not buying a property there just a few years ago...price has more than doubled in this short space of time. Seems there is definitely renewed interest of the area these days).

FYI - going rate is about $120 for water taxi to Cheung Chau (since outsiders are not allowed to use the estate ferry).

Cheap rent, $14200 for 1200sqft + garden.

https://www.squarefoot.com.hk/property/22643027/

It's about 3Km from the road to the beach.

About $450m to build a cable car to the road and a carpark.

That's not much per apartment to allow rapid access to the world

Does anyone know anyone who lives there? Wondering what the occupation rate is.

Havent been thru there in close to 15 years...Should go and visit one of these days.

We walked close past it yesterday on a hike. There was a few sounds (of life) but generally very quiet compared to most HK housing so doubt many people were there.

I know someone who has a place at Sea Ranch, but he also has an apartment on Hong Kong Island, and only goes over there every few weeks. He keeps a helper on the property to maintain and look after the place, but she is hardly overworked (other than during one of the typhoons last year where she took in some stranded builders). Apparently the place is very quiet and some of the blocks pretty much empty.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    It's about 3Km from the road to the beach.

About $450m to build a cable car to the road and a carpark.

That's not much per apartment to allow rapid access to the world
    Assuming 200 apartments (i'm curious to get an accurate number) - that's still quite a lot.

Besides, whilst that would boost the property prices, it just negates the whole purpose of wanting to live there.

I'm sure the government will catch up eventually. Once they're done with the highly dubious Lantau ELM development, they can begin looking for other areas to destroy...
    Last edited by tparker; 16-05-2017 at 12:29 PM.
    Skyhook likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    No. Unfortunately the entire clubhouse is sealed off and in a state of disrepair. If I remember correctly, when the development went bankrupt and was transferred to the owners, that did not include the clubhouse itself... so ownership is one issue to content with (not to mention maintenance costs).

Apparently CNN recently posted a bunch of pictures back from the day - Paradise lost: The evolution of Hong Kong's Sea Ranch

I don't know how it was in the '90s, but today the Macau ferries definitely don't leave Sea Ranch with a peaceful feeling. They're quite noisy and there is a constant hum.

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast