Like Tree1Likes

Any members living in Olympic/West Kowloon?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Traveler
    Hi all, me and my wife will be moving to HK for few years ..need to decide the area ..we are expecting baby in early August ..can some one help if Olympic or Tsing Yi is good place to stay and raise family . what should be the budget for 2-3 room flat. Is 17k to 20k OK given I have heard property prices are stagnant or coming down in HK ?
    Check both areas out when you arrive but I also vote for Olympic. It's much more convenient and has easier access to a lot of schools than Tsing Yi. 20K won't get you a 3 bedroom place in the newer complexes in Olympic, I think you would be looking at more like 25-30K at a minimum. There are some older complexes in nearby Tai Kok Tsui which offer greater value for money. Places slightly further away from Olympic station like Hampton Place and Metro Harbour View might also be slightly cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by WMDS
    I am currently living in Olympic, I would prefer it compared to Tsing Yi which is a bit more local and not much to do in there apart from the shopping mall and jogging track. 18-20K would get you a 2 bedroom place if you are looking at buildings with clubhouse facilities. If you are looking at old buildings, then you could get a 3 bedroom place within your budget.
    Thanks WMDS ..that gives idea about rent and stuff. I haven't visited Ting Yi but I agree with your point that Olympic will be better option and closer too.

Thanks JMBF ..that helps too. Will keep that in mind when I start to hunt apartment . I was under impression there is downword pressure on rent these days given upcoming slowdown in HK property .

Olympic is a popular area, its two stops from hk station and next to mongkok. Rent has gone down by around 10%. Still limited supply in the area. Its a great place to live, I will miss it when we move further out due to new baby.

Quote Originally Posted by WMDS
    Olympic is a popular area, its two stops from hk station and next to mongkok. Rent has gone down by around 10%. Still limited supply in the area. Its a great place to live, I will miss it when we move further out due to new baby.
    Hi mate, I couldn't stop noticing when you said you are moving out further later maybe due to new baby ? We are on the same boat my friend , we are also expecting a new baby soon ..so is something specific you are moving further because of new baby ? Like need of bigger place or any other specific reason ?

not sure if the OPs are still even paying attention to this thread, but yeah, sometimes it smells pretty bad along the waterfront. but it's a waterfront, you'll get that smell at other waterfronts. reminds me of san francisco, even cape cod at low tide. so i'm not sure it's linked to hong kong's unique urban issues.

doesn't mean you have to like that smell, though. i don't.

overall, i do like that area. in laws live there so we know it well. i'd consider living there. biggest problem for us is that we find that when we spend a lot of time in TKT/Olympic, we also wind up spending a lot of time walking around some of the busier streets of Mong Kok (esp Argyle) and breathing in a lot of car exhaust.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Traveler
    Thanks JMBF ..that helps too. Will keep that in mind when I start to hunt apartment . I was under impression there is downword pressure on rent these days given upcoming slowdown in HK property .
    Yes there has been some weakening of rental prices but nothing really significant so far in the Olympic area. You might be able to get a 1-2K off compared to previous rates but nothing much more than that.

I just negotiated 10% off my rent in West Kowloon last month. Prices definitely starting to soften, inline with the slight downturn in selling prices.

Thanks all.. That was helpful

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2