Like Tree1Likes

Any members living in Olympic/West Kowloon?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Any members living in Olympic/West Kowloon?

The Mrs and I were looking at Kowloon Station area for rental, when the agent showed us Imperial Cullinan and One Silversea in Olympic, which we really liked. But later a friend mentioned that there was a major problem of smell from the sewage plant in Stone Cutters island in areas around Olympic station. Any members living there - is the smell really bad? (we heard it shows up only in summer time, so no good way for us to experience first-hand). Many thanks in advance.

I looked at a place in The Long Beach recently and noticed a garbage-y smell walking around outside. So not just summer. Asked the receptionist if she noticed it, she said she couldn't smell anything, I guess you get used to it if you're there for long. I didn't notice anything while inside the building, and you might find One Silversea is a bit sheltered from it out of all the buildings there. I haven't noticed any smell near the developments east of the west Kowloon Highway e.g. Harbour Green, the Hermitage, Florient Rise.

I wouldn't rule out staying in those places just because of the smell, but be aware of it.

Last edited by dengxi; 15-01-2013 at 12:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dengxi:
    I looked at a place in The Long Beach recently and noticed a garbage-y smell walking around outside. So not just summer. Asked the receptionist if she noticed it, she said she couldn't smell anything, I guess you get used to it if you're there for long. I didn't notice anything while inside the building, and you might find One Silversea is a bit sheltered from it out of all the buildings there. I haven't noticed any smell near the developments east of the west Kowloon Highway e.g. Harbour Green, the Hermitage, Florient Rise.

I wouldn't rule out staying in those places just because of the smell, but be aware of it.
    Thanks dengxi. Guess we'll make couple more recon trips to the area to check it out. From what our friend said, it sounded like a pretty heavy smell (especially by the promenade) - not sure it's light enough to get used to. But will check again.

I would also appreciate feedback on olympic city. Husband and i are moving to hk and considering leasing an apartment in imperial cullinan. Now worried about the potential summer-smell issue in the area. Can anyone shed some light?

I've lived in Olympic for 3 years and cant smell anything different from the rest of Hong Kong. Basically the whole damn city smells like a dump to me. Olympic is no better or worse.

Mrs. Jones likes this.

Thanks for the feedback bdw. i was hoping that would be the case. Might just take the plunge and sign a lease soon!

Any other feedback you have regarding the Olympic area? We were hoping to live in an area which was:
    1) Convenient (MTR's, shops, and food)
    2) Not too loud and crowded like cwb etc (understand that most of HK is loud and crowded - we've been staying in a serviced apartment in cwb, and its just too loud and streets way overcrowded. difficult to get a good nights sleep!)

During my initial visit to the Olympic area in december, it did seem to tick most of those boxes, but it's hard to tell when you've only spend half a day in the area!

My husband and i were hoping to still be able to cook for ourselves, so access to supermarket etc is important to us as well.

Taste is in Olympian City 2. Olympian City 1 has not that many shops, so places on the east side of the MTR are slightly more convenient in terms of mall access and if you want to go to the local shops in Tai Kok Tsui (including wet market, some smaller supermarkets). Hermitage has the bonus of being nearby Mong Kok as well, though there are minibuses that go there from other places.

There is noise from the west Kowloon Highway and from the MTR, which runs above ground here, but it's not that bad. The area feels much less crowded compared to midlevels / cwb to me.

Question Tentative rent ?

Hi all, me and my wife will be moving to HK for few years ..need to decide the area ..we are expecting baby in early August ..can some one help if Olympic or Tsing Yi is good place to stay and raise family . what should be the budget for 2-3 room flat. Is 17k to 20k OK given I have heard property prices are stagnant or coming down in HK ?

I am currently living in Olympic, I would prefer it compared to Tsing Yi which is a bit more local and not much to do in there apart from the shopping mall and jogging track. 18-20K would get you a 2 bedroom place if you are looking at buildings with clubhouse facilities. If you are looking at old buildings, then you could get a 3 bedroom place within your budget.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Traveler:
    Hi all, me and my wife will be moving to HK for few years ..need to decide the area ..we are expecting baby in early August ..can some one help if Olympic or Tsing Yi is good place to stay and raise family . what should be the budget for 2-3 room flat. Is 17k to 20k OK given I have heard property prices are stagnant or coming down in HK ?
    Check both areas out when you arrive but I also vote for Olympic. It's much more convenient and has easier access to a lot of schools than Tsing Yi. 20K won't get you a 3 bedroom place in the newer complexes in Olympic, I think you would be looking at more like 25-30K at a minimum. There are some older complexes in nearby Tai Kok Tsui which offer greater value for money. Places slightly further away from Olympic station like Hampton Place and Metro Harbour View might also be slightly cheaper.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast