Like Tree15Likes

Advice on Living in South Lantau

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by mxl
    Looks like all in all people enjoy living in lantau even if it means a longer commute.
    Is it hard to get on the ferries which get you into Central for a 9am work start? I am concerned boats may get full so need to leave even earlier, is this the case?

Great to know that there is free parking at the ferry terminal, does this get full by a certain time?

I also understand you need a special license to drive around south lantau, is this easy to get if you live there?
    Never had a problem with a ferry being too full although the busiest one seems to be the 7 am fast ferry. The fast ferry takes maximum 30 mins and the ordinary or slow one takes about 45mins. Parking is not a problem. There is paid areas and there are the unpaid parking spots such as the dock and behind the grocery stores. If there is crowded or full, it's the buses at peak times or on the weekends.

A Lantau driving permit takes up to 4 weeks. Sometimes more but my husband who applied for it said that the issuing office was pretty efficient. We don't find traffic bad at all, not like HK island. There are regular police checks on the roads for vehicles that don't have a valid permit or a permit, full stop.

mxl

Thank you that is really helpful. I will be viewing some places this weekend. Super excited!

Check out The Gallery at Tong Fuk this Saturday eve from 7:30 pm, there is some live music going on, plus some tasty pizzas and grills. No, I don't work there, am just a regular customer.

Try to check out the houses in Ham Tin, Pui O. But I'm afraid most of the more spacious houses with better views there are for sale. However, there's really no harm in trying.

The village itself is spacious and calm. The beach, basketball/football courts, and playground are conveniently accessible. Moreover, there is a nice-looking river that runs through the village and connects to the sea (Pui O beach). This added more impact to the already countryside-ish feel to the village. =)

Some of the activities that you can do there are fishing, cycling, taking long walks at the beach, hiking, or just mere enjoying the picturesque views around. Lifestyle there are simple and peaceful. People who live there won't trade this to the life in the city.

The public transportation might be a hassle to some since commute time ranges from 40mins to 1hr from Ham Tin to central. But once you live there, you'll get used to it.

=)

Exactly!!!! My husband and I feel as though we're going on holiday when we come home from work. I snooze on the ferry in the mornings and some evenings. It's quiet. Dog and cat and whatever pet you have friendly. Today was my day off, so I took a walk along the beach. Cycle or hike the paths on your weekends or days off. Friendly neighbours. Fresher air than on the island. No one cares what you wear our to dinner or lunch, makeup or none.

Indeed. It's more fun in the island! There are some cons in living here, though. Your life will somehow depend on the bus and ferry schedules especially if you work in the city, or you go there often.

Everytime I'm having late night hang-outs in the city, I can't help but be conscious about the time since it would be a hassle for me to go home if I miss the last ferry ride from HK island to Mui Wo.

Well if you miss the 3am sailing I guess you can always kip on the benches at the ferry piers - many S Lantau or DB expats seem to have done this at least once in their time here!

You'd have to be pretty tired or drunk to sleep on those !!!!!

I've checked out some hostels on HK island where I can crash. Either that or.....

Haha. Might as well just be conscious of the time. =)

What about getting back from Central to Mui Wo by taxi?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast