Like Tree3Likes

Tin Shui Wai Recommendations

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tin Shui Wai Recommendations

I would appreciate any info, experiences or suggestions from expats living in Tin Shui Wai - as I am considering renting an apartment. Tin Shui Wai seems to cover quite a large area so I am interested to know if some apartments are more convenient than others. I will be commuting to Kowloon Tong and my wife to Causeway Bay.

- Garnered from previous threads it seems Central Park Towers is a no go:

http://hongkong.geoexpat.com/forum/n...eply&p=2015137

- There is one recommendation for Kingswood Villas:

http://hongkong.geoexpat.com/forum/n...eply&p=2015481

Any other info would be appreciated - thanks in advance

In that part of the world, I'd be more inclined to opt for a village house

But if you're looking at high-rise because of the extra facilities provided, are you dead set on TSW, or would you consider other places on the Westrail line, such as Yuen Long (Yoho - where do they get these names??) or Tuen Mun (Chelsea Heights, or the brand-new Gateway complex)?

Have you been to TSW?

Miserable depressing place, and a high suicide rate to boot.

Gatts likes this.

why in the world would you look at TSW if you work in causeway bay and kowloon tong? why not shatin/fotan? would be a heck of a lot easier to commute!

Thanks for the replies. I haven't been to TSW yet, which is why I wanted to get some feedback on apartments before I headed out there. (I am aware of its reputation). I am still open to other areas in the new territories especially if there are places that reduce the commute, and am also looking at Sai Kung, although it appears a bit expensive. I am a student - my budget is $hk9000 per month and the accommodation will need to fit myself, my wife our imminent first child and a helper. My initial searches online have not found much for that price - except in TSW. (Carang I have found a few places in Shatin/Kowloon for $9000 but they were all under 350sq.ft SA - I know many locals manage it, but I am not sure I could cope with such a small space.)

have you looked at any village houses?

also, you canNOT trust what you find online. you MUST pound the pavement! the ONLY way you will see what is really available is if you get out and look. really look, not virtually.

chingleutsch likes this.

Village house in Fanling.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo
    Have you been to TSW?

Miserable depressing place, and a high suicide rate to boot.
    That's really bad advice....

Quote Originally Posted by hk.chill
    I would appreciate any info, experiences or suggestions from expats living in Tin Shui Wai - as I am considering renting an apartment. Tin Shui Wai seems to cover quite a large area so I am interested to know if some apartments are more convenient than others. I will be commuting to Kowloon Tong and my wife to Causeway Bay.

- Garnered from previous threads it seems Central Park Towers is a no go:

http://hongkong.geoexpat.com/forum/n...eply&p=2015137

- There is one recommendation for Kingswood Villas:

http://hongkong.geoexpat.com/forum/n...eply&p=2015481

Any other info would be appreciated - thanks in advance
    Just now I am in TSW and with my work colleague who lives in CPT, she loves it!

Tin Shui Wai is more a dormitory than a town, a big concrete dormitory, where you are staying is the heart of the action and many people from Yuen Long visit your hotel for the fantastic Chinese buffet and Dim Sum. There are often half decent local bands playing and the lobby is a quiet place to get some work done on the laptop, free wifi and decent, well priced coffee and cakes. TSW has a lovely town park and is of course home to the interesting Wetland Park. Of course, there is more to TSW than the centre, be sure to check out the surrounding villages - Lau Fau Shan, a little fishing village with great fresh seafood, hike (or minibus) a couple kilometres north of Lau Fan Shan for sweeping views accross to Shenzhen and occasional sightings of Pink Dolphins - hike (or minibus) a few kilometres south to see traditional farms, pick your own strawberries or enjoy a spot of fishing in the stocked ponds.
    I wrote this over a year ago for someone staying at the Hotel in the centre and it stands....I will add that TSW gets a lot of new infrastructure, several amazing sports facilities, IMO the best public transport network in the territory, loads of great hikes and modern shopping malls, good food and so on...

Most people who slate TSW have never been here.....it's on the Westrail too!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast