where I can live with 6000 per month in HK?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

TST / Jordan

For under 6k you can get a great little studio / older 1 bedroom near Jordan MTR.
    I reccomend Tak Hing / Tak Shing st.

There are agents everywhere - just bowl in and talk.
    Older places for that cash but SO convenient.

If you flatshare you can get a nice 2 bedroom for 12 and go halves.

GRAET AREA - walk to TST - 7 mins (yes really!) to central from Jordan on MTR

r

Smile YES JORDAN is very convenient nice location!

Thank you for your information!
    I thought that places' rental market value is also going up because those restrants and bars in this area are now gone and many places are signed as "for rent: please call ****"
    But it is very very convenient location, so I will check it up, maybe west side of Jordan station as well. (pikem street, parkes street.. )
    And if I live in a places where rent is rising fast, even it is within my budget now, I think it is highly possible to be kicked out after only one year.... house hanting is really time consuming in HK!

City Loft

I checked city loft as well.. it is like serviced apartment?

I can't stay in this kind because I have cats...

but thank you very much for your advice!

One of our flight attendant friends lives in Discovery bay, her rent was $6,500 owner direct, for a 1 bedroom sub 500 FT 8th floor apartment with sea and green views from all windows.

If you work in Central, Discovery bay might be a bit of a conveniant sea change for you, especially as the ferry is quite a fast commute. It is possible to get affordable 1 bedroom places, although older, are actually quite good inside, ie tastefully renovated inc a functional kitchen. Bright and light.

I can only tell you what I have experienced , as we don't live there, but visited friends who do, its a very very pleasant environment providing you like hanging outside during your non working hours, with the gang at Jaspa's or whatever outside watering hole suits you.

Disco bay still represents good value for money especially during the weekends having so many leisure activities within arms reach.

Last edited by Skyhook; 03-03-2008 at 12:33 PM.

Smile DISCOVERY BAY ( I thought that is a rich people's..

Thank you for your comment! I thought discovery bay is more expensive.. seaview.. is nice
    I think commuting is as same as lamma maybe.. but their ferries are always faster and even ferry piar is different with others, with cafes and stuff..
    I will check this out as well.

PS: AGAIN I WANT TO THANK ALL OF YOU HERE!! THE INFORMATION YOU GUYS GAVE ME IS VERY USEFUL!!

I used to live in Pilkem street (TAI TAT BUILDING) in Jordan. I've been there on the same flat for 18 years...and Loved it so much. SInce i got married i moved to a bigger apartment here in Hunghom....you could also check it out

You can try Cheung Chau. More local style than Lamma, but they have ferries all night.

Smile Discovery Bay

Could anyone tell me more about DISCOVERY BAY?

I thought Discovery bay is for rich expats families but.. In GOHOME website, they also have some smaller flats around 6K.
    And they have more frequent and fast ferries compare to lamma.
    (but ferry fare is VERY expensive. 27HKD one way) I don't know much about the atmosphere there but maybe it is more like family oriented develped town with shopping centre and stuff? It is not a place where dogs and cats walking around everywhere on unpaved trails like lamma?

Discovery bay is very pet friendly, lots of people have dogs, and when we were last i saw neighbourhood cats sunning themselves on the grass and jumping around in the scrub, tail up, happy cats.

Discovery bay is popular among expat families because it is quiet, spacious and visually very pleasing on the eye on a terrain point of view. If they had a resident car permit like Lantau does, we would have bought their, but no cars allowed.

One thing about living on one of the islands are the costs for the ferry.

We did such a move and save a considerable amount on rent, but 80% of the savings are consumed by higher transport fares. I still don't regret moving as I have a lot more space now, but if DB is really 27HK$ one way as you have pointed out, it can easily increase your transport costs by HK$ 1000+ per month per person (depending on how much you spent before). This can be a lot if you on a low budget anyway.

If your max. budget is 6K, you might need a flat for 5K on the island.

Last edited by mjk; 04-03-2008 at 12:50 PM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast