where I can live with 6000 per month in HK?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Unhappy not only the rents..

not only the rents.. everything is getting higher recently. For example, 3 years ago, deli france's sandwich set(with coffee and soup) was 25HKD. Now it is around 35.... but their coffee is more watery than before and they sometimes serve with a lettuce next to sandwich which seems more like chicken feed. (are they cost cutting this way?)
    We see a lot of follow-up price increase while we don't get much salary increase because company is also suffering with the increased office rent.
    One thing I really hate now in HK is that all these little shops had left and substituted by franchised stores and restaurants (ex. local restaurant -> starbucks, local clothing store -> bodyshop etc etc... ) I feel HK is kind of losing its originarity... ok ok I will stop whining

Tora,

we hear you!! you are not alone!! inflation will be a heated debate somewhere down the road when everybody on the main street is complaining. income gap between the rich and poor will become wider. Just look at the history of inflationary period and you will know how the cycle will end.

for the time being, just earn and save more to keep ourselves running!! Hope you will find a new place to settle.

cheers!!

Unhappy

thank you for your comment! yes I think people with lower income is really suffering right now. (ex: you know how much they earn working for parkn shop, right?) well, my condition is not THAT bad, but 50% rent increase is ridiculous. I heard many people in HK are paying 1/3 of their income for rent...

Well, I have to continue hunting.
    According to lamma.com.hk web site, residents are fighting for ferry fare since last month. They might suffer 50% up? ? or less 8 ferries each day??
    This is my concern for lamma because I am not working at home.

Quote Originally Posted by AJZ
    Also, to save a few dollars on the ferry, you can buy a T card for the ferry, it's about $1200 for 50 trips and you can buy 42 or 20 trips too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook
    Using AJZ's T card system, that works out to less than $600 a month if one travels to Central 6 days a week. less if only traveling to central 5 days per week return.
    Travelling 6 times a week to central makes 12 trips a week (if you plan to go home after work), about 48 trips a month. Costs you $1200 with the T card system and about $100 more without the T card.

Flatshare on Lamma available..

Quote Originally Posted by tora-chan
    Flatshare is ok but it takes time to find a flatmate.. well, if I get two rooms in lamma, it might be fun though.
    Me and my girlfriend have a room for rent in our 2 bedroom apartment on Lamma... 5 minutes from the pier and with a big balcony and rooftop. Sea and mountain view. let me know if you'd like to have a look...

Quote Originally Posted by tora-chan
    thank you for your comment! yes I think people with lower income is really suffering right now. (ex: you know how much they earn working for parkn shop, right?) well, my condition is not THAT bad, but 50% rent increase is ridiculous. I heard many people in HK are paying 1/3 of their income for rent...
    yeah, thats why local people live with their parents forever.... and then their parents live with them

Quote Originally Posted by loki8481
    how bad do you think the commute over to the eastern end of HK island would be? just looking at a map, I'm guessing it'd be something like: ferry to HK -> subway to Chaiwan -> walk 4-5 blocks.

makes me wonder, if I'm trying to get a place for less than 10K hkd, at what point I should just start looking at the new territories or kowloon.
    why aren't u considering renting in chaiwan / siusaiwan ?

the greenery / seaview in the latter especially should be quite plesant. a small apartment (400-600 sq ft) at Island Resort with its own club house can be had for 10k a month.

and your commute would be down to 5 mins.

re

Quote Originally Posted by marcuslai
    why aren't u considering renting in chaiwan / siusaiwan ?

the greenery / seaview in the latter especially should be quite plesant. a small apartment (400-600 sq ft) at Island Resort with its own club house can be had for 10k a month.

and your commute would be down to 5 mins.
    that's why I have to come out and visit before really thinking (seriously) about it I wasn't even aware that ssw was residential.

Loki, it would be a good idea to visit said locations.

You'll notice rather dramatic differences in the vibes of each area that have been explained already.

Depending on what your lifestyle requirments are, will be largely determined by your housing allowance.

If you are trying to keep your budget to between $7000 - $10,000 per month, still have a nice view without buildings blocking it, and a stones throw from all manner of out door activities, such as sailing, bush walking, BBQ's, horse riding in our case as Tai lam is close to us, then you can check out these affordable low density expat neighbourhoods below.

• Yuen Long, a very very local area, not expat oriented at all, very good bus service to central, though, doesnt usually take longer 40 minutes.
    • Sheung Shui, as above, but use the MTR and switch at Kowloon Tong or Mong Kok to get to the Island line.
    • Clearwater bay nearest to the Hang Hau MTR
    • Sai Kung - Hebe Haven, Tai Wan Village.
    • Lamma might be fun for some, a tad insular and a bit cut off, might not suit those who are not of the Bohemian ilk. Its Hong Kong's version of Tasmania
    • Discovery Bay, ideally the most practical outer area for Central commuters and airline staff, but the ferry is more costly, but its 24/7, and much cheaper than cabs.
    • Park island, another unique outer NT spot, good ferry access to Central, very resort style, in a very HK interpretation of what resort style is..
    • The Gold Coast - Siu Lam and Sham Tseng area, handy for airline staff, but you'll need to mainly bus it or bus it and MTR train it it to Central, depending on your distance from either Tuen Mun or Tsuen Wan MTR's.

All of the above area's provide affordable spacious housing ( 760ft - 1180ft), all are expat friendly area's, for the exception of Sheung Shui and Yuen Long ( Good for those willing to fully immerse themselves and learn cantonese ) most aimed at the adventurous expat urbanite.

If you are into clubbing every night and getting smashed at bars, then the outer area's mentioned above may not be all that appealing to you.

Remember also that most locations of HK are not much further than 45 minutes cab ride from any direction, Hong Kong is one of the smallest cities in the world @ 1000km Area. I can drive from Shouson Hill to Sheung Shui ( the Border ) in an hour, thats basically one end to the other, to give you a bit of distance perspective.
    Last edited by Skyhook; 06-03-2008 at 12:10 PM.

AJZ

a small apartment (400-600 sq ft) at Island Resort with its own club house can be had for 10k a month.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast