Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By drumbrake
  • 1 Post By carang
  • 3 Post By emx

Young Architect moving to HK in the next 2 weeks...

Young Architect moving to HK in the next 2 weeks...

Hi, my name is Paul. I'm a 24 male from scotland. I'm working as an architect in the Netherlands but am being tranferred to another office in Hong Kong, exciting stuff!

The office is based on Wyndham Street, Central Hong Kong.... I imagine i will be working alot and any time i have free i will be wanting to enjoy what HK has to offer! I am aware housing is small and expensive in general, this doesn't bother me so much. I want something that is managable in size and in a safe/cool area. can anyone suggest and area/ contact? Would you advise i live off the main island and get the boat across each day?

any idea's/ advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Paul

While there is still the Star ferry across the harbour, most people use the MTR subway, or there are road tunnels if you want to catch a bus or taxi.

Where you decide to live will depend on your budget (close to work is possible, but expensive), on whether you want a short or long commute (living on an outlying island such as Lamma is cheaper and a better environment, but you are controlled by ferry schedules) and whether you want a more western feel to the neighbourhood, or if that is not important.

Size of apartments will be a shock unless you have a very high budget.

For the first month probably best to live in a serviced apartment (probably on HK island). Find somewhere permanent in that month.

Pfeeney1 likes this.

all areas are safe. what do you consider cool?
    "get the boat across"? do you mean the star ferry? that would only be possible if you live in tst. (does the star ferry still sail from hung hom?) or do you mean live on an outlying island?

kind of hard to make suggestions until we know what your budget is, how big do you consider small, and what kind of commute you are willing to put up with...

Pfeeney1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pfeeney1
    I want something that is managable in size and in a safe/cool area. can anyone suggest and area/ contact?
    All areas are "safe".

You only concerns might be pollution levels, falling windows or being squashed by a red mini bus.
    carang, Pfeeney1 and hitmehere like this.

thanks for the advice drumbrake. I will know my budget within the next few days...

Thanks carang, enough room to sleep and read a book is all i need... when i say cool i wondered if there was an area for younger professionals... or even still a cultural zone. Its all alien to me at the moment so perhaps a serviced appartment for one month is a wise idea.

One of the coolest places for me is the area between Blake Garden, Queens Road, Hollywood Road Park, and Man Mo Temple.

Have you tried the website airbnb.com

It seems to have lots of flat shares, it's probably quite a nice way of trying a few different areas.

BCD

As a young architect in HK you will not be in your flat much - or at all! Welcome to 18 hr work days and non-existent weekends. Get the closest flat to the office that you can afford. That way you can actually sleep sometime and not waste your time travelling. Flatshare is a really good idea, and saves you having to sign a lease (tying up 2 mths rent and keeping you here at least a year). Don't mean to discourage you, but you either love it or hate it.

I second BCD's view on getting a flat close to workplace to save time travelling. Anywhere on the HK island line is relatively close. Central is an option if you don't mind the noise/ vibe in the area. Otherwise Sheung Wan, Tin Hau, North Point areas are also worth your consideration.