Like Tree4Likes

Warning to Renters: Beware of Landlord Henderson Development

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Angry Warning to Renters: Beware of Landlord Henderson Development

I will try not to be abusive and simply report my experience renting from different subunits of Henderson Development/Leasing/Financial and other related names.

In 2008 September I rented at one of their properties in Kowloon. September 2009, I renewed for 1 year. One month later I (and all other tenants) were ordered to vacate by December 2009. Apparently the term of the lease only applied to tenants!

In December 2009, I moved to another property (Pinnacle), coincidentally managed by Henderson. I lived there for one year, after which they informed me that I could renew, but only with a 33% increase in the monthly rent.

In December 2010, stupid me stayed at the same property but leased a unit from a different Henderson sub-unit, Henderson Financial Company. I signed a two-year lease, thinking to avoid the earlier problems.

Although this was a modern building, this arm of Henderson hadn't yet entered the 21st century. The only way to pay the rent was by hand delivered check, no wire transfer, not even cash! Quite inconvenient for those of us who travel frequently for business. Once when I misspelled Henderson Finance CO. instead of Henderson Financial Co., they refused to accept the check and then threatened me with a penalty for being late.

After one year, MY circumstances changed and I wanted to get out of the lease. I was even willing to give up the two month security deposit! Henderson threatened to take me to court if I vacated the lease.

So I served out the lease. Even after I had informed THEM that I would not to renew, they informed me that I could not renew. Indeed, they shortly thereafter kicked EVERYONE OUT again. Then when I left, they -- who were such sticklers about getting paid on time -- took 7 weeks to refund my deposit.

My advice is to stay away from them at all costs for your piece of mind. Absolutely the worst side of the Hong Kong business community and society.

Last edited by hallingp; 06-02-2013 at 06:20 PM.
    dear giant and Gatts like this.

Your story sounds fairly typical of the average renters nightmare in Hong Kong unfortunately.

However, I can concur that Henderson Group are a bunch of wankers. I actually bought an apartment from one of their new developments in 2009. Paid an initial 5% deposit on the spot. They gave me 5 days to pay a second 5%. I mistakenly assumed it was 5 business days, but aparently is not and included the weekend. My money was in Australia, had to be wired to HK. Took about 3-4 business days to clear. Trying to explain to them that my money was coming from Aus and needed another day to reach HK but they would not budge and threatened to take away my property and keep my initial 5% if I did not meet their 5pm deadline. Finally my company came to the rescue and lent me HK$320k for one freaking day because these bunch of Henerson assholes tried to fleece me.

Oh, and like every other HK developer, their properties are pretty crap. Just concrete shoeboxes.

Last edited by bdw; 06-02-2013 at 07:16 PM.
    dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    Your story sounds fairly typical of the average renters nightmare in Hong Kong unfortunately.....They gave me 5 days to pay a second 5%. I mistakenly assumed it was 5 business days...
    I'm reading both posts and failing to see any nightmare.

What I do see is that one party enforcing a perfectly valid contract while the other party not being happy about the contract being enforced.

Lesson to be learned : read the contract and understand it before you sign it.

Quote Originally Posted by hallingp:
    .....of Henderson Development......
    The big players give a duck. I was for quite a few years with SHK, ever 2 years I got an increase. The latest one in October was a whoppy 30%, which made me look around. Then I noticed that even my current rent was well above market price. I could find similar size, 30% cheaper. And found something nice.

Finally SHK gave in and wanted just 10% more. But I signed already a new lease and moved there in October. The old place is still vacant. They rather leave a place empty for 3 years then giving you a better deal.
    dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:

What I do see is that one party enforcing a perfectly valid contract while the other party not being happy about the contract being enforced.

Good, point. You rent from them and enjoy.

Does anyone know the general interior quality of Henderson's properties e.g. lobby, lift, hallway etc.?
    I would really like to know.
    Thanks in advance.

Moral of your post to others. Remember not to do business with HC!

If one is:
    a) incapable of reading a contract and interpreting it
    b) is shocked when a contract condition is enforced
    One should not be doing any business at all.

If one is:
    a) incapable of reading a contract and interpreting it
    b) is shocked when a contract condition is enforced
    One should not be doing any business at all.
    Contract enforcement is a last resort, not a first one!

Contract enforcement is part of life and part of business. If that surprises you (whether first, last or middle) then you should not be in business.

Lets get specific since you seem to want to argue. Which point that OP has made do you find objectionable in the normal course of doing business?
    1) the enforcement of lease terms?
    2) not willing to accept mis-spelled cheques?
    3) not accepting break-lease outside of contract parameters?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast