Like Tree31Likes

Victoria Gardens, Pok Fu Lam?

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5

Most teachers hv cars. There is free parking at schools. Hv a look at the other primary schools like quarry bay n Bradbury. There are a lot of issues at Kennedy.

MrsDizzy likes this.

Thank you all.

The good news is that my wife got her job, so we're all set. The bad news is that we still haven't got a clue where to live! It seems the World and his wife is trying to convince me that commuting from the CWB area isn't a great idea! So it looks like Bradbury or Discovery College, for the kid, if we can get him in and therefore, DB or the South of HK Island for us.

Still, we're certainly not moaning, we could be shovelling snow again this time next year!

Last edited by MrsDizzy; 19-02-2013 at 05:21 AM.

Congratulations!!! You should ask the ESF Centre if they have any properties available for rent. They do own a number of flats which they are supposed to rent at an attractive rate to staff. Remember there were a few somewhere near Tin Hau. Good luck!

Thanks very much Rani. I will contact ESF about their accommodation.

If you're working at SIS and WIS then Ap Lei Chau seems the obvious place halfway between the two (10 minutes to either school on the bus).

South Horizons should get something OK around 1000 sq ft for 20-30k, or Larvotto maybe 30-40k. Or some of those other flats close to the the Aberdeen Boat Club.

MrsDizzy likes this.

Hi Mrs Dizzy, There is a new development in Kennedy Town called Harbour One. I believe it has just been launched, so everything is new and no need to worry about repairs or broken toilet seats Rent is anywhere between HK$35-HK$60k/month, depending on the size of the apartment. I live closeby and am considering to move over there once my current rental contract is ending.

MrsDizzy likes this.

Hi! Just came across your post, and was wondering whether you had seen any of these Victoria Gardens apartments..?! We also are due to move in August, myself to work in WIS and the kids to Kennedy (probably), and I m getting kinda anxious about the accomodation issue. Do you know if they are "nice" ! apartments? Would appreciate any information at all, because I feel quite swamped with the whole upheaval! Thanks very much!

Quote Originally Posted by SonnynKush:
    Hi! Just came across your post, and was wondering whether you had seen any of these Victoria Gardens apartments..?! We also are due to move in August, myself to work in WIS and the kids to Kennedy (probably), and I m getting kinda anxious about the accomodation issue. Do you know if they are "nice" ! apartments? Would appreciate any information at all, because I feel quite swamped with the whole upheaval! Thanks very much!
    The interiors are very basic and the landlord will do only the bare minimum. However, the building management is friendly, and there's a basic pool and tiny gym. What I like about the flats are that they're very spacious, and large for the price. You feel you can breathe in there, unlike most HK flats. Nice storage space. I find it much more 'customizable' than many luxury apartments, and easier to adapt to different families' living needs.

I've seen a drop dead gorgeous one (rented by an artist) who did it up so beautifully it looked like something from a magazine (but totally livable). It was calming, practical and beautiful. They even managed to make the kitchen and bathrooms look great, just through canny decorative touches - no permanent or expensive installations. So the place has good bones, but if you need something that looks good and smartly done up before you move in, you may not like it. Kitchen and bathrooms look dated and depressing, in their original state. No luxury touches like high end stoves or sinks. If you're the kind who are good at transforming basic interiors, it has lots of scope and potential to be amazing.

If I wasn't working 16-18 hour days, I'd seriously consider living there.

Transport is slightly less convenient in that there's no MTR and limited buses. No shops/restaurants within an easy walking distance, which is true for all of that area, though. However, the minibus to central works well and avoids the most congested route. I know people working in central who tell me it's a easier and faster commute than from Bel Air.

If you are superstitious, you may want to bear in mind it looks out onto a mortuary on one side (hidden by trees) and graveyards on the other. I find it a plus to be a stone's throw from HK's best hospital, and don't have an issue with graves, but the rent is lower than market average partly because of that aspect. (which is why my ideal rental flat would be surrounded by graves :-))

Quote Originally Posted by MrsDizzy:
    Thanks for the info on Baguio Villas. Had seen them but they seemed to offer less value for money. Of course that means they're probably of a higher standard than Victoria Garden.
    Some of the Baguio flats can be of a higher standard (really depends on the landlord), and there's the convenience of a small supermarket onsite.

However, one key reason for the price difference is that Victoria Garden has a view spanning graveyards and the mortuary, and superstitious types won't live there. (Which is great for those of us who don't care!) Many tenants in Victoria Gardens are expats, doctors, and Christians who can push back on their families' objection that living there could bring bad luck on the whole extended family :-)

Having made some enquiries during our stay regarding Victoria Garden, here are our findings.

One estate agent said that she no longer showed people around them because they are long overdue an external upgrade where tiles would be applied to the external render. At that point the dust and noise would be problematic and the use of air conditioning neigh on impossible.

Other locals said that their construction wasn't exactly legitimate.

We also looked at Baguio Villas but although the layout was acceptable the whole environs seemed rather tired and past its sell by date.

Bel-Air was a bit smarter and we especially liked the latest Phase 6 buildings but alas at around 55K a month for a 3 bedroomed apartment, we couldn't justify that level of rent.

We're now working on getting better value at, wait for it, shock, horror... DB!

Not our first choice but we're practically guaranteed the plaudits from our offspring so here goes...

Hope this helps anyone else in a similar position.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using GeoClicks Mobile

carang likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5