Like Tree2Likes

Is it possible to survive with a salary of 18.5K?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Is it possible to survive with a salary of 18.5K?

Hi guys!

I m joining the Chinese university of HK as a phd fellow n i m getting a stipend of 18.5 k. Please let me if it will be enuf to survive in HK and make some savings.

Regards

Akshay

Yes. .

Family, children?

If by yourself then yes it's fine.

Possible yes. Are they providing university accommodation?

It is certainly enough to survive, but you will need to be very frugal indeed to make any significant savings unless your accommodation will be provided in addition to the stipend.
    It is in your favour that CUHK is out in the New Territories: accommodation is much cheaper than in most of Hong Kong, particularly if you choose a village which does not have direct road access (such as Sheung Wo Che, near Shatin MTR) or at least without direct bus service (like Cheung Shue Tan, down the hill from the road out to Tai Po). Of course, these options mean you need to be prepared to walk further than most people in Hong Kong are willing to do

Last edited by chingleutsch; 25-02-2013 at 12:33 PM.
    akshay_aiish likes this.

I assume there is some good uni accommodation that you can get but if you are not worried about the size there are plenty of apartments for under $5k a month in Kowloon.

Median Household income in HK is around 18K and about 30% of the population lives in public housing. You can be comfortable and save money if accommodation is provided. You'll be fine if it isn't as you can get a place for less than 10K in that area however you won't be saving much and you certainly will have to watch your spending.

When I first got here we 'survived' on less for the first couple of months. 2-bed village house in Lam Tei, $5500, 2.2l Honda Odyssey Car used for work, we rode our bikes everywhere....ate in local places, a habit that's stayed with me, I still hate to pay more than $60/70 for a main course!!!

We've got two kids.. We saved some money!! No money for fancy holidays but Macau and into China for a few days is doable...

how long are willing to commute, if 40-50 mins, 700 sq ft ( a floor) village house from sha tau kok or village near sheung shui ( probably 15-20 mins walk to townor mtr) for HK$6k-7k, or a 500 sq ft older flat within shueng shui/fanling (25mins to university)

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    Possible yes. Are they providing university accommodation?
    I will get admitted as a phd student in august. Until then I will be a research consultant there.... so probably in august I get hostel accomodation

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast