Like Tree2Likes

Working in Kowloon

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    DLG

Working in Kowloon

I and my wife will be moving to HK in mid May. Will be out early April to do some work so do have time to look. Will only be in HK full time for about a year. My budget is 4500(US)/month.

Questions
    1) What are some good expat areas to consider. I am not knowledgable about areas. What would be some recommendation. Can be in HK or Kowloon. Need to have good access to MTR
    2) what type of things should I be asking an agent to ensure the price covers everything?
    3) Please explain Central, Mid levels, etc

thanks
    David

Last edited by DLG; 28-02-2013 at 01:50 AM.

You say you are working in Kowloon, but its a big place, so which part? How long a commute is tolerable for you, and do you find changing trains/buses?

carang likes this.

DLG

I am working in Mong Kok. Would rather not live in the area and would not want to change often.

I have no problem with MTR changes.

Thanks for the reply

dg

Mongkok covers quite and area and it serviced by two (at a pinch three) different MTR lines. If you are near MongKok East station, then going north on the East Rail will give you many options for places with space and lower cost. Further away from other expats. Since you didn't mention what you were looking for it's hard to say if this is what you want.

From the red line you can go out to Tsuen Wan or back into Central/Shueng Wan. The latter has more expats but it also hugely more expensive.

From Olypmic you can live in Olympic (10 min walk across to central mongkok), in to Kowloon, out to Tsing Yi or Tung Chung if that's your thing.

But without having any idea of budget or taste, it's rather hard to suggest anything useful! Get an MTR map for a start and google where your office is.

Moving $4500 us a month.

Depending on where in mongkok you're working there's Olympic, and quite a few expats thereamd it's walking distance, 10 minutes to langham place.

Agree with Olympic. It's neat and quiet and have expats around. The rent is usually around 20k-30k HKD for a 500sqfoot house (2bedrooms) and they usually have club houses downstairs as well. 10 min walk to the noisy mk tho. Btw expats usually live in central and mid levels which are both in hk island side. Crossing sea (tho by MTR) can be rather expensive , not to say the extra fee when u take a txi. So strongly suggest live and work on the same side unless u'd like to pay more in transportation.

do you prefer a noisy yet convenient high rise such as olympic area or you willing to travel 25 mtr to central/sheung wan/wan chai then a trek ( up hill) of 15 mins or 30mins on bus or 10 mins on taxi every day up the hill to expat dominated mid levels

also consider ho man tin, hung hom or kowloon tong as these area are more relaxed, transquil as well less crowded buildings

Mat

Quote Originally Posted by DLG
    I and my wife will be moving to HK in mid May. Will be out early April to do some work so do have time to look. Will only be in HK full time for about a year. My budget is 4500(US)/month.

Questions
    1) What are some good expat areas to consider. I am not knowledgable about areas. What would be some recommendation. Can be in HK or Kowloon. Need to have good access to MTR
    2) what type of things should I be asking an agent to ensure the price covers everything?
    3) Please explain Central, Mid levels, etc

thanks
    David
    If you stay on Kowloon side and for 35K (HK) a month I would consider:
    Kowloon Tong.
    HungHom.
    Olympic.
    TST.

All have MTR, are sort of expst friendly etc etc.

Kowloon Tong would be best for that kind of budget, low rise buildings % of actual usage space higher, quite peaceful there.

carang likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic
    expat dominated mid levels
    Where the vast majority of households are local Chinese, despite the clearly ludicrous assertions of several posters here.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast