Relocation To Lamma Island

Closed Thread

Unhappy Relocation To Lamma Island

Hello there..
    I am going to live in lamma island soon, so I just was checking the cost of relocation from HK island to lamma.

I don't have many stuff here, small sofa bed, chair, folding table, microwave, printer, and books, clothes. so it is like bed plus about 10 big stripe bag( you know the red and blue cheap bag..)
    It is not a lot. I can fit all my stuff into my bathroom.
    And I got quoted as 4500HKD.

I think... it is rediculously high since normally movers cost around 200HKD to move entire truck load of stuff within HK island.
    So it is like, moving my stuff from ferry piar to lamma flat costs.. 4300 HKD?
    Of course I have to pay for the small car they have in lamma... but I know it is 100HKD one way.
    Maybe I have to pay for helpers carrying stuffs for me but with 4K hkd, how many people are coming to my place to help? like, 20? 30?
    The guy also said it is also because lamma flat is not in Ground floor. huh....

Does anyone know RERIABLE place I can ask??

thank you for your help.

Last edited by tora-chan; 13-03-2008 at 10:00 PM.

If you only have 10 amah bags then get a van to Central pier #4 and get the van driver to help you for an extra 50 dollars or so. Make sure you are in time for a slow ferry and you can put all the bags on there for about 10 dollars each. At the other end arrange for a VV (one of the small trucks) to meet you there and he will take all of them in one run to your flat. it will cost you abouty 500 dollars for everything. If you go to lamma.com.hk you will see a yellow pages on th etop left side which has the numbers of Vv drivers and the ferry schedule. It's easy- the 4,200 will have been for a Gai Do from Kennedy Town.

You really think an expat is going to be able to get a better price than a local like you? I doubt it.

HK$200 gets you the use of the van. You have to do all the loading and unloading yourself, and you have to do it within 15 minutes.

There is a significant cargo fee on the Outlying Islands ferries which is per item based largely on size and the nature of the item. If the quoted figure includes those fees then it might not be so outrageous. (I imagine the charge for a sofa bed on a lamma ferry is not small.)

You alternative might be to investigate getting a van to take your stuff to Aberdeen and then transship it to a sampan.

Last edited by PDLM; 13-03-2008 at 10:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lammarite:
    It's easy- the 4,200 will have been for a Gai Do from Kennedy Town.
    Thank you very much.

So I just check the ferry time and ask that driver to come when I arrive... ok that is simple. I can manage that I think..

.... what is GAIDO?

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    You really think an expat is going to be able to get a better price than a local like you? I doubt it.

eh?? I am not hk people, that is why I am asking here on the web..

thank you for the information. I think using separate people on the each island should make everything cheaper..

A gaido is a commercial boat used to transport bigger items such as palettes, building materials etc to the outlying islands.
    Mr Hung at Brothers Supermarket on Lamma is a very good VV operator and packs as much into his VV as possible each time to save you extra runs.

Smile

oh.. maybe he thought I have palette load of stuff...
    Other people also said Mr. Hung can help me. I think I can ask him for help. Lammarite, thank you very much for your advice again!