Like Tree21Likes

And you thought your HK apartment was small...

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:
    I've never really understood this obsession with indoor space. The only room that bugs me in HK because of the lack of space is the kitchen. I'm building a cabin on a one acre lot(obviously not in HK) and it's not even 800sq ft footprint including the deck. The difference though is that it's open space...

Any bigger is an excuse to accumulate junk and dust. Keep it simple and small is what I say and live outside where we are meant to be...
    Size can be overrated they say. HK tends to be rather on the small size and I am not sure why as it is not the land area the buildings occupy that stop units from being larger. Most flats in North America have adjoining tenants touching on both sides. I have no unit touching mine. About a five foot gap on the one side and no unit touching on the other two sides.

Ever hear the one about the well off independent insurance claims adjuster who sold his business in Vancouver, retired at a youthful 38 or so and built almost a $1million fully loaded huge log house the size of a resort in the remote woods outside of Princeton, BC?

Well I first met him in 1993 when he came to work for our company as a senior claims adjuster. Despite being in the insurance industry he built this palatial log cabin outside the fire protection district and could not get fire insurance. It turned out that it burned to the ground and with no place to live moved back to the city to work.

And he also lost the beautiful woman who half the men in our company were in love with as she didn't want him now that he was no longer the well off, early retired guy anymore as she too had to return to work!

GET INSURANCE!

A voluntary public service announcement from the I love insurance coalition.
    Last edited by Football16; 11-03-2013 at 03:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    As a single dude 800sqf is probably more than fine...as a family of 4 or 5 it certainly isn't + your cabine for 800sqf is probably the equivalent of a 1100 sqf flat in HK...

So while I agree indoor space doesnt need to be super huge, it also need to be practical, convenient and every indvidual should have at least some sort of individual space where he can unwind. 2/3 kids in a 10 sqf room isnt much fun...especially at teenage age...
    Actually the inside is hardly any bigger than a 600sq ft apartment in HK except that there's a loft to sleep. Everything else except the washroom is open space. No running water, off the grid for electricity, no phone, no internet. The complete opposite of this crazy city...

Oh and guess what? NO INSURANCE!

(Paid for by the anti insurance scammer coalition)

It is a whole different ball game with children, I think it's good for young kids to share a room but as they approach teenage years, they should ideally have their own space. I think western kids growing up in HK get certain opportunities they might not have in the West however they certainly lose out on a lot too.

I would think long and hard about staying in HK if I had teenage kids... Tough decision.
    Last edited by gilleshk; 11-03-2013 at 03:59 PM.
    Football16 likes this.

I can understand if some senior executive of some multinational, i-banker or successful entrepreneur who just moved to town will expect an accommodation that befits their status. But I'm not those types and for me personally, indoor space I don't really expect a huge amount...just enough for me to feel comfortable moving about. What is more important is the environment and neighbourhood where I lived. Make it pleasant and relaxing to be there, that is what matters to me. Too many places in HK (especially the more run-down/old inner city areas like Yau Ma Tei, Shum Shui Po) are just concrete jungles without a blade of grass.

If people in HK have to work so long at their office, the least the government could do is to make the place where the majority live more pleasant to be around. The government will be surprised how a more comfortable living environment could help reduce the stress and misery of locals.

Last edited by Watercooler; 12-03-2013 at 09:51 AM.
    closedcasket likes this.

I lived in 700 sq ft. for a couple years and that was just too small. I don't need a lot of space to live, but I appreciate the 1500 sq ft plus two balconies I have now. I think the American McMansions are rediculus but to say that 800 sq ft is enough...is a stretch. For me anyway, about 1500 sq ft is ideal, I wouldn't want anything more.

The problem with Hong Kong's 700 sq ft is that includes no basement, attic or closets. Very little storage, so things can get cluttered up very quickly.

dear giant and MovingIn07 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by closedcasket:
    I lived in 700 sq ft. for a couple years and that was just too small.
    Definitely an individual thing! I rattle around in my 800' sq (job provided) like a lone pea in a barrel; given my druthers I prefer 300 - 400'sq. A lot easier to keep clean, less room to accumulate Stuff, but still room to have friends over to dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by chingleutsch:
    Definitely an individual thing! I rattle around in my 800' sq (job provided) like a lone pea in a barrel; given my druthers I prefer 300 - 400'sq. A lot easier to keep clean, less room to accumulate Stuff, but still room to have friends over to dinner.

So you would prefer a 300 sq ft flat to an 800 ft sq flat? Oh my!

I'm sure you could find about 3 million or so people to trade flats with here....
    Football16 likes this.

I think I beat you all. My flat internal is 105 sq feet.

Quote Originally Posted by virago:
    I think I beat you all. My flat internal is 105 sq feet.
    A cardboard box under a bridge doesn't count......

well the pics aren't really just about small spaces, more on poverty housing.
    my room+bathroom studio= less than 100 sq ft..
    but because it's dead center of causeway bay, so i chose to pay the same price as a 2 bdrm apt in hk suburbs. i get terrible motion sickness lol... can't handle the commute... :'(