Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By chingleutsch

To rent, sub-let or move into a serviced apartment - moving from Australia.

To rent, sub-let or move into a serviced apartment - moving from Australia.

Hi all I am moving to HK in two weeks time and I, not quite sure what is the best option for accommodation when I arrive - I spoke to a few girls when in town recently and they mentioned they are sub-letting... Basically turning up to a relatively set-up abode that belongs to someone else.

Is this a common thing to do in HK? Or do you recommend looking for my own place ahead of time - like many of the other threads, I'm hesitate to commit to an area without properly deciding on where to live... Also, if I do commit to sub-letting; do I need to take over the lease temporarily? I really don't want too many commitments first up and if someone could advise whats the norm in HK with these big moves then that would be great as I'm freaking out just a little.

Many, many thanks x

Quote Originally Posted by SydneyGirl
    Is this a common thing to do in HK?
    Not common in Hong Kong.

Put yourself into a serviced apartment for a month or two and spend some time exploring different areas to compare before deciding where to settle.
    Last edited by emx; 20-03-2013 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Read carang's reply in the other thread so updated a litle

Flat share. Come, stay for a couple of weeks in a serviced apartment, find a flat share somewhere for 3 months or so and then take your time to find something decent.

Another option is something like airbnb, you can sample different areas as well as different classes of accommodation.

i think you mean they are sharing a flat.... yes, some people do it. it wasn't something that i had success with when i did it with strangers about 18 years ago. i also did it when i shared with friends, with a little more success.

you would be far better off to rent a service apartment on your own first. get to know the city and meet some people. then decide where you want to live and with whom.

+1 for a serviced appt and take some time

Another vote for the serviced apartment option (or even a hostel, such as one of those run by Caritas, if you want to save $$ from the get-go).

It doesn't matter how many people's brains you pick about HK before you arrive - and some of the most vocal sharers have only been here for 3 days as tourists - you will find a totally different place from the one you were expecting. HK is rather like the elephant in the fable: each blind man feels one part of its anatomy and decides that "this is an elephant." But on these boards alone you'll find any number of totally different views on the *real* Hong Kong, and they're (nearly ) all absolutely true for the minute fraction of it that that person has experienced.

carang, z754103 and MovingIn07 like this.