Any New Residential Bldgs?+Agent recommendat'n needed

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Any New Residential Bldgs?+Agent recommendat'n needed

Hello, I'm new in HK and would be grateful for your input.

I'm looking for an apartment in a new or new-ish residential high-rise (up to 5 years old) that's located somewhere near Central or not too hard to get to from Central. Apartment is for 2 people-- we're a 30-something couple. Am hoping to rent an apartment that's at least 700 sq ft. My budget is up to HKD30,000, but would be more comfortable spending about HKD20,000-26,000.

Is this possible/realistic, and do you have any suggestions?

To elaborate some, I toured with an agent today and saw a bunch of properties in old buildings. I was extremely disappointed by how drab all of them looked. When I asked my agent if there were newer residential buildings with apartments available for viewing, she told me "not really"...

Somehow I didn't believe her, so I did some research on my own online. I found listings in The Morrison, The Zenith, Cherry Crest, J Residence, and CentreStage.

The Morrison and The Zenith looked particularly nice-- are they in convenient locations? CentreStage seems to be in a convenient location, but the apartments look tiny... If you have any information on these buildings, or other newer residential buildings that you recommend, could you share with me?

From what I've read on GeoExpat, many GeoExpaters seem to live in the Merton or Grand Promenade. Are they pretty new?

Finally-- if you have any real estate agent recommendations, that would be much appreciated too!! I just don't think the agent I'm using is going to pan out... Please help.

Thanks.

Best way is to find a building your interested in and approach companies that have offices nearby. Agencies here are very localised.

You can consider to live in Tung Chung or Discovery Bay. Caribbean Coast of Tung Chung, have shuttle bus to /from Central, also it takes approx. 5-8 minute to MTR station by free shuttle bus. The building is new, club house is excellent and enviroment is very good. For a seaview apartment Size approx. 1200 sq.ft, it cost HK$15500. Of couse, travelling time / transportation cost will be higher compare with apartment in Central. Many expats is living in Tung Chung Caribbean Coast, you can consider.

The Zenith is in Wanchai. Lots of transportation to Central.
    Cherry Crest, is off Hollywood Rd in Central. You should be able to walk to work from here. CentreStage is 5mins from Cherry Crest. Looks really nice, haven't seen inside.

Grand Promenade, is in Chai Wan and is a bit far. Merton is in Kennedy Town, and is 15-20 mins (taxi) west of Central.

We were in the same dilemma when we arrived HK. My wife also wanted a new place and not old ones. We first lived in Repulse Bay (nice, but old) and now started to live in Residence Bel-Air, Cyberpoprt (Island West) Built just 2 years ago, it's really modern and has great views. The clubhouse is superb too. However, it's not so close to Central. By taxi, it's takes 10-20mins (depending on what time you go) and costs around HKD50-60. There is a complimentary shuttle-bus provided by the management (average one every 20mins) to Sheung Wan, which is the first MTR on the West (and the next station is Central already)
    Check it out. For HKD30k, you can get one between 700-850sqft. If you want more info, email me at [email protected]. Good luck!

Thanks to all for the responses!

Wholsome, what is your commute like? Bel-Air looks really nice but I'm worried about the commute to Central 'cause shuttle buses seem a bit inconvenient... Does anyone commute by cabs from Bel-Air to Central? Or do most people take the shuttle bus? Also-- is Bel-Air more geared towards families w/ kids?

Hello Rani-- thanks for the info on the different buildings. Is the area near Zenith convenient in terms of day-to-day living (grocery shopping, etc)? I didn't realize that Merton in Kennedy Town is 15-20 minutes away by cab, somehow it looks much closer on the map... Does Merton to Central take about the same time as Bel-Air to Central?

CentreStage and Cherry Crest (by the way, are they considered to be in the "SoHo' area?) may be closer to what I have in mind in terms of distance to work, but I wonder whether it'd be too much to actually live in Central...

I am still quite confused about the housing situation but will be looking tomorrow, once the real estate agencies open up. Seems like most are closed today. Thanks again & wish me luck!!!

Zenith is pretty convenient. you've got the Wanchai wet market just below it for fresh veggies, and Taste supermarket at Hopewell Centre.

Centerstage and Cherry you could say is in SOHO.

Bel Air is another 10 mins from the Merton.

Booding, I moved to HK from NY in the beginning of March and have been living in the Zenith (block 3) for 2 weeks. I am finding it extremely convenient. The MTR is one block away, and there are tons of busses and trams. The biggest apt. I've seen here is 650 S.F. Feel free to PM with more questions.

Yes, it's always a tough choice so view more before you decide. I'm not sure about the Merton, so I cannot comment. I viewed The Zenith, it's nice and extremely convenient with wet market and food all just below. The MTR is also close-by. The reason we decided against it was noise pollution and size (nothing above 1000sqft)
    Can tell you more on Bel-Air since we're staying here. In the mornings, I usually take the shuttle bus (one every 10mins in the morn) to work. It's a large bus which can accom 40-50 ppl. Journey takes 20min to Sheung Wan MTR (15min w/out traffic). If I'm in a rush, I'll take the taxi which takes 10+mins to the MTR. On non-rush hours, it takes 10mins by taxi to either Causeway Bay or Central (taxis take a different route vs. the bus). If you want to take public bus, there is a bus stop just behind Bel-Air which you may take to many parts of HK, including Central and Causeway Bay.
    As for Bel-Air, I would say it's a mix. We're a couple in 30's too, without kids and so are our neighbours.
    If you really want to view Bel-Air today, there are many agents with 'open house' outside the building and they can show you units even today. Alternatively, you can go to the shooping Arcade next to Bel-Air and there is 2 agent office there (Midlands and Ricacorp) and they are always ready to show you units.
    By the way, Bel Air has 3 phases. 1 and 2 are adjacent, and has the best views. Phase 3 is newer by a year, nicer interior but next to the construction of a new Bel-Air (so a little noisy)
    Other new buildings I know is The Belchers at Pokfulam (this is nice too) and The Legend (Tai Hang Road)

Thanks for the helpful input everyone!

I'm just about to step out to walk around the different neighborhoods and, with Wholsome's advice, will be looking out for "Open House" signs.

Zenith and Bel-Air are definitely on the top of my apartments-to-view list. Based on what I know now, I'm currently leaning towards Zenith for the convenience but will keep an open mind. I think ultimately I'd choose convenience over views though I'd hate to look out onto another building.

Guinness18, has the pollution in Wanchai bothered you so far? I'm used to walking everywhere as I lived in Manhattan for some time, so Wanchai sounds ideal. Which Zenith tower (of the 3) is most convenient?

Oh and, does anyone know anything about the Morrison? It looks quite similar to Zenith, but I can't find much info on it...

Cheers,
    Booding

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast