Like Tree11Likes

Work on HK island, live in new territories?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

If you do find yourself on the westrail line, pokfulam is quite easily accessible by getting the MTR to Austin and then the 970 or 973 bus. This route served me well as an HKU student.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic
    why doesn't the op consider staying over a weekend at lamma island ( i believe they have bed and breakfast places) and see how long it take to get to work

as well as the other places, but for QMH and from NT, there are few choices considering the distance and time, i believe my recommendation is far the quickest and most affordable and best of all more for your buck, ie, full 700 sq ft for HK$8000-9000 region

if you still considering an expat orientated area such as sai kung or gold coast, i believe you have to consider doubling your rent to HK$15-16k to get a least 600 -700 sq ft and commute longer
    2 years ago 800sq ft in gold coast was 8k. I don't think it's gone up that much since then. And there are plenty of cheaper deals in say, Aegean Coast over the road. Actually, just checked on centadata - Aegean Coast is more like 10k or less for 600sq ft while Gold Coast is 12k for 750 sq ft.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07
    2 years ago 800sq ft in gold coast was 8k. I don't think it's gone up that much since then. And there are plenty of cheaper deals in say, Aegean Coast over the road. Actually, just checked on centadata - Aegean Coast is more like 10k or less for 600sq ft while Gold Coast is 12k for 750 sq ft.
    but Aegean Coast to pok fu lam will take more than likely 1.50hr commute ( or more), minibus to tuen mun or tsuen wan assume 15-20mins, then mtr/bus to sheung wan that's 1hr, then tram/bus to QMH that's 30mins, that's really long and tiring journey

BTW, that's worse than my previous daily commute from ma chuek ling, sha tau kok to sheung wan and involve changes of various forms of transportation, meaning waiting times inbetween will be long

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86
    If you do find yourself on the westrail line, pokfulam is quite easily accessible by getting the MTR to Austin and then the 970 or 973 bus. This route served me well as an HKU student.

And you may find yourself behind the wheel of a large automobile
    You may find yourself in a beautiful house, with a beautiful wife
    And you may find yourself on the West rail line in Hong Kong...

You may ask yourself, "Well, how did I get here?"
    SK65 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by closedcasket
    You may ask yourself, "Well, how did I get here?"
    Same as it ever was...Same as it ever was
    closedcasket and SK65 like this.

[QUOTE=imparanoic;2350938]but Aegean Coast to pok fu lam will take more than likely 1.50hr commute ( or more), minibus to tuen mun or tsuen wan assume 15-20mins, then mtr/bus to sheung wan that's 1hr, then tram/bus to QMH that's 30mins, that's really long and tiring journey
    /QUOTE]

Sure if you take the mtr but from gold coast/agean coast the best way is 962 to kowloon station and change to 970/973 to pok fu lam. I lthink around an hours.

But like most say Pok fu lam is far from NT , Lamma is a much better idea.

MovingIn07 likes this.

[QUOTE=Beuze;2350998]

but Aegean Coast to pok fu lam will take more than likely 1.50hr commute ( or more), minibus to tuen mun or tsuen wan assume 15-20mins, then mtr/bus to sheung wan that's 1hr, then tram/bus to QMH that's 30mins, that's really long and tiring journey
    /QUOTE]

Sure if you take the mtr but from gold coast/agean coast the best way is 962 to kowloon station and change to 970/973 to pok fu lam. I lthink around an hours.

But like most say Pok fu lam is far from NT , Lamma is a much better idea.
    according to google map, agean coast to qmh takes quickest 1.35mins

your route via 962 then 71 will takes 1.45mins

https://maps.google.com.hk/maps?hl=z...-8&sa=N&tab=wl

according to google map, agean coast to qmh takes quickest 1.35mins

your route via 962 then 71 will takes 1.45mins

https://maps.google.com.hk/maps?hl=z...-8&sa=N&tab=wl
    71 is far from 962 bus stop in sheung wang , i used to live next to university on pok fu lam road and often went to gold coast the easiest and fastest is 962-970/973 same bus stop for exchange in element but it's surely not the cheapest option.

Quote Originally Posted by closedcasket
    I'm guessing by car..... and I'm guessing she works a 5 day week or less?? And I might also guess that she lives in a family village in Tai Mei Tuk and gets the housing for cheap, free??

I have some people at work that commute over an hour to work each day. The locals I work with would prefer to live near family and commute longer to work than vice versa.
    Its a family village house but she commutes via public transport. 5 day week.

Both my bf and I are PhD students living on studentships, so the budget of about 9K per month is pretty much the maximum that we can afford for both rent and transportation.
    Lamma island still sounds like the best option budget & commute-time wise, but I have found quite a number of negative comments about Lamma island (also positive!), so I guess we'll just have to go there several times on different days of the week, timeperiods etc. to form our own opinion. It's also not al that easy to find an available apartment there...
    And if Lamma doesn't fit us, then I think somewhere in NT will still be a good option. A colleague of mine actually lives in Shenzen! One way travel is >2hrs, but she lives in a 500 sq ft apartment for 3000 hkd. Not that I think this is an option for us, but still very cheap.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast