Like Tree11Likes

Work on HK island, live in new territories?

Reply
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5
  1. #41

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    4,040
    Quote Originally Posted by Namnam
    Both my bf and I are PhD students living on studentships, so the budget of about 9K per month is pretty much the maximum that we can afford for both rent and transportation.
    Lamma island still sounds like the best option budget & commute-time wise, but I have found quite a number of negative comments about Lamma island (also positive!), so I guess we'll just have to go there several times on different days of the week, timeperiods etc. to form our own opinion. It's also not al that easy to find an available apartment there...
    And if Lamma doesn't fit us, then I think somewhere in NT will still be a good option. A colleague of mine actually lives in Shenzen! One way travel is >2hrs, but she lives in a 500 sq ft apartment for 3000 hkd. Not that I think this is an option for us, but still very cheap.

    Lamma seems like a love/hate type place. I have known people who love the lifestyle, but others (myself included) would not like the isolation. Spend some time there and see if it suits you.

    Shenzhen, though cheaper than Hong Kong, is not as cheap as it was 10 or 15 years ago. It is slowly catching up.

    You can find small village homes in HK (subdivided) that are close to 400 sq ft for 3000 hkd but they are very old buildings and often with no view outside (not much fun to live it).


    9k a month budget (including transport) and a job in Pok Fu Lam is not an easy one.

    Just throwing this out there.....have you thought about tutoring/NET teaching part time at evenings/weekends? Even with no experience you could make $250 hkd per hour (give or take). If your husband and you do one night a week (4-5 hours) you could double your housing budget!

  2. #42

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    13,131
    Quote Originally Posted by Namnam
    Lamma island still sounds like the best option budget & commute-time wise, but I have found quite a number of negative comments about Lamma island (also positive!),
    Lots of people love it and lots of people do hate it too. There is no Starbucks, no McDonalds, no movie theater, Wellcome&PnS and no cars. There is however a huge feeling of community that is fairly unique to the place.
    It's also not al that easy to find an available apartment there...
    I dont know how you could come to that conclusion without being there.
    When you get there go and talk to the estate agent; there is no shortage of places.

    Also, you should get familiar with this : http://www.lamma.com.hk/

  3. #43

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Gold Coast Marina
    Posts
    17,970
    Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic
    but Aegean Coast to pok fu lam will take more than likely 1.50hr commute ( or more), minibus to tuen mun or tsuen wan assume 15-20mins, then mtr/bus to sheung wan that's 1hr, then tram/bus to QMH that's 30mins, that's really long and tiring journey

    BTW, that's worse than my previous daily commute from ma chuek ling, sha tau kok to sheung wan and involve changes of various forms of transportation, meaning waiting times inbetween will be long
    My friend whose trip I quoted earlier lived at the time in Aegean Coast. 962 connecting to the 9xx bus at Western Harbour tunnel. It would be less than 1.5 hours.

    EDIT - I see Beuze already pointed this out.
    Last edited by MovingIn07; 11-04-2013 at 09:52 AM.

  4. #44

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    17

    I thought about it a bit in the beginning, but we have no experience and are afraid that some more advanced high school subjects are a bit too long past for us to teach someone else. And even though we both speak English fluently, I don't think I will be able to reproduce and teach English grammar to someone else. But I had forgot about this option and it is definitely an idea worth looking into!


  5. #45

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Namnam
    I thought about it a bit in the beginning, but we have no experience and are afraid that some more advanced high school subjects are a bit too long past for us to teach someone else. And even though we both speak English fluently, I don't think I will be able to reproduce and teach English grammar to someone else. But I had forgot about this option and it is definitely an idea worth looking into!
    This was about the tutoring...

  6. #46

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    17

    For lamma island, I am not worried about the isolation, but more about other issues..

    http://www.lamma.com.hk/forum-OK/viewtopic.php?t=9614

    (I know they are probably exaggerating to scare people of)


  7. #47

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    13,131
    Quote Originally Posted by Namnam
    For lamma island, I am not worried about the isolation, but more about other issues..
    http://www.lamma.com.hk/forum-OK/viewtopic.php?t=9614
    (I know they are probably exaggerating to scare people of)
    Like I said, there are plenty that love the place and plenty that hate it too. The article is slightly exagerated, but only slightly and all the points have some amount of truth to them.

    You will not know without actually going and seeing the place first hand.

Reply
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5