Like Tree11Likes

Work on HK island, live in new territories?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Work on HK island, live in new territories?

Hi everyone,
    My boyfriend and I moved from the Netherlands to HK almost 2 years ago. We both work in the Queen Mary hospital on HK island and we have been living in Aberdeen all this time. Even though this is a very convenient location, we feel like the living area is crowded and the apartment too small. We pay 8000 for 300 sq feet. Also, our landlord is going to raise the rent at the end of the year.
    That's why we are looking for a new place to live. We are mainly attracted to the new territories now, since the living area you can get there is well worth the daily commute... I have seen lovely photo's of village houses in Sai Kung for less than 8K for example, but I understand it will take about 2 hrs to get to work? We do not have a car and I don't think a car is an option.
    Do you have any advise/recommendations for us? Thanks!

Yuen Long or Tuen Mun may get you a village house floor for less than 8K and you have the West Rail line that gets you into town quite quickly.

Thanks for your response emx. This actually brings me to another question that I have. What is the overall quality of village houses? I have the impression that most of them will require more maintenance compared to 'normal' apartments? Should I reckon spending much more on utilities such as electricity for A/C etc. when I live in a village house?

Hi there,

i am actually from belgium, live in Yuen Long and go to work in Central. Living in a quiet area, but working in the busiest area of HK. It's not a bad commute, only one hour in the morning and one hour in the evening.
    However, Pokfulam is quite a difficult location...

Quote Originally Posted by emx
    Yuen Long or Tuen Mun may get you a village house floor for less than 8K and you have the West Rail line that gets you into town quite quickly.
    kam shueng could be a great place, few villages nearby, minibus and bus service, park and ride, main thing, only 15 mins to tst, thus, you should be able to get to qm hospital within a hour, also much much cheaper than sai kung, ie, village house 1 fl 700 sq ft is probably at HK$15000 per month, around kam shueng and kam tin, half the price or even less than that

bad point for the op, not an expat orientated place, very few expats and mostl

also the western extension to hk uni and kennedy town will be open by mid 2014, thus, if it take 1 hour to get from tst to qm hospital now commuting (mtr, then to bus or tram)/walk) it will only take 14 mins from tst to kennedy town or 24 mins from east tst (west line and walkway to tst) when it opens

You should also look&consider Lamma with regular ferries into Aberdeen.

The main area of Yung Shue Wan as well as the some of the smaller outlying villages (with transport service) will give you a much more pleasant commute into work.

rani likes this.

Lamma is a sensible recommendation as it offers a laid back community lifestyle, which is what Nam Nam is looking for. Another consideration, although it will likely cost a little more than what they are paying now in rent would be, Shek O. Shek O is the Sai Kung equivalent of the South East side of Hong Kong Island, located on its own peninsula. It offers many of the same attributes that make Sai Kung unique, only smaller in scale.

No offence to the other recomendations but, Yuen Long / Tuen Mun are nothing like Sai Kung, Shek O or Lamma, they aren't tight little village communities, from my experience of having lived in Sui Lam ( TM ) Yuen Long overlooking YL park in Ma Tin road ) and having lived in Sai Kung off and on for an accumulated 7 years, while spending quite a lot of leisure time in Shek O ( at least once a month to visit friends that live there ).

If you like Sai Kung, you will LOVE Shek O, but you will have to be realistic about your housing budget, but in my opinion the extra money paid will be well worth it. http://www.timeout.com.hk/around-tow...de-shek-o.html

Last edited by Skyhook; 09-04-2013 at 12:25 PM.

Thank you all for the responses!
    I did consider Lamma island, however I am not sure about travelling with the ferry twice a day, perhaps it's just something we need to get used to.. How about the local facilities and transport options there?

Skyhook: I was wondering if you could give an indication of the housing budget that I should be thinking of for an apartment/village house in Shek O. The only offers that I could find online were more than 10 times my current rent! Any reliable real estate agents that you know of in the area? Thanks!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast