Like Tree6Likes

Village house, ground floor + first?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Village house, ground floor + first?

Looks like I'm going to be moving soon. Which is a bit of a shame, as I currently have one of those most precious of things in Hong Kong: a garage. It will be hard to find another one, at least not without spending a similar amount on rent as I am now for a huge house I no longer need.

So I was thinking...

...about renting the ground and first floor of a village house somewhere in the NT and simply using the front part of the house as my garage (I have and work on motorbikes as a hobby), and the upstairs for living/sleeping. And yes, I will be living alone.

The landlord would have to be okay with it, of course, but if there is a solid door between the levels and the kitchen, it should be sanitary and clean enough. TBH, I don't actually do a lot of work on my bikes these days, so this is probably more of a storage issue than a use issue. Storing tanks of flammable liquids in one's house is usually not a great idea, but I can't say I haven't done it before...

get the downstairs one with patio doors an keep quiet about it.. when my wife was away I had my 2 stroke sprawled out across the livin room.

sounds like an awesome plan ! much handier for the tea an biscuits

Dude, I knew you would approve!

scrambler likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by scrambler
    get the downstairs one with patio doors an keep quiet about it.. when my wife was away I had my 2 stroke sprawled out across the livin room.

sounds like an awesome plan ! much handier for the tea an biscuits
    Good lad! I had a pal in England who was a builder. At night he'd unload his van and lug all his tools into the sitting room for security. His wife eventually put her foot down and made him rent a lock-up. He did....he also bought a full size bar, stools, glasses, etc. and turned his sitting room into a pub.
    scrambler likes this.

If you don't mind about insects, ground floor is ok. I supposed you also need to take care of the septic tank as well, right? Also, highly recommend you to check with the landlord and neighbours to see if you have the "right" to park your car in front of the house and/or you have to pay for parking and/or using the "private" road.

whats the septic tank? do all village house have em? like 3 holes in the ground? what care?

whats the septic tank? do all village house have em? like 3 holes in the ground? what care?
    It does need to be emptied every now and then you know! Lol

wow! any idea how long? what happens if it dont get emptied? the $hithead company who bought downstairs an renting out for exorbitant fees have concreted over the access holes!

as for loo2's plan I am 100% in favour an wished i could do it! i was actually wondering if i could get a winch on my place to hoist my bike onto the balcony... currently my balcony has a lot of boxes of bits - since Im doing a full engine rebuild! but what happens when it is rebuilt?
    mate if u do it near clearwaterbay can I rent a corner

As far as I know, in most case, you need to have someone to empty it every 2 years (of course, depends on how much you errr.... produce....). If it is not done, it is not the end of the day except you got loads of shxt in your flat pretty fast..... It is the landlord responsibility to employ someone to do it but they may charge you for that, ask before you sign the rental contract.

carang likes this.

wow! any idea how long? what happens if it dont get emptied? the $hithead company who bought downstairs an renting out for exorbitant fees have concreted over the access holes!
    If you had involved the Building Department of the downstairs owners illegal construction modifications, that now include the concreting over the septic access points ( WTF !!!!), none of that crap would have taken place. It was because of you, for not involving the right authorities in the first place, that eventually, your septic ( and your neighbours that share the same tank ) will back up your toilets and you are all going to have shit from arsehole to breakfast running through your flats when it peaks. ( the bottom floor will be the most severe )....

Good luck with that, as your situation is only going to dramatically worsen, and the joy of jack hammers to break up the concrete to reinstate the septic removable access points; that's providing they don't damage the tanks when they start jack hammering around to locate them....What a total cluster f*ck....

You're going to be in the shit, soon enough, enjoy.....
    Last edited by Skyhook; 11-04-2013 at 12:21 PM.
    carang likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast