Daily Mail article on HK

A slightly biased but interesting view on how HK is perceived:-

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...org-cubes.html

TigerSun likes this.

Resistance is futile.

Quote Originally Posted by Oxygen
    Resistance is futile.
    Captain's log. Stardate XXX

The USS Enterprise has entered a time warp to chased down a borg cube intending to assimilate Earth...of the past. The borg cube appeared over early 21st century...Hong Kong. First Officer reported that the borg has...failed to assimilate Hong Kong. What?! How can that happen?! "Well", reported the first officer: "apparently, Hong Kong seems to "out-borg" the borg". "Let's ask these Hong Kong people to join the United Federation of Planets in our fight against the borg" then I commanded. "They aren't interested", reported the first officer. They commanded that their sole mission in life is to "make money and enrich themselves, resistance is futile". Well, that sure as hell beats all this mumble-jumble about to "seek new life and new civilizations, going where no one has gone before". Ummm...better erase that last entry, don't want my superiors to hear that.

As art, they were good photos. Not as representatives of HK.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07
    As art, they were good photos. Not as representatives of HK.
    Daily Mail...'nuff said.

Good photos, but where are all the ones of the islands and country parks?

Oh sorry, I forgot. Balanced views do not a newspaper sell.

Mat and emmie like this.

I recall being taken aback (to put it lightly) at visiting the tight living conditions of different students and their families in the Kowloon East estates - multi generations squeezed in, making do, sharing one toilet with a shower right next to it and drain hole all in one teeny corner - public housing or OLD walkups...

That was years ago, now their taxi- or bus- driving or security-guard and cleaner-tea lady parents' years of long, hard work - and saving - has put many of them through community college and/or uni (one ex-student has now got a good job at BOC - Central; another, an engineer at HK Electric, etc)...

Several have long moved on from 'mainlander' roots - via grandparents - and yet not quite hiding this, too... and why should they? (e.g. often mentioning revisiting their 'heung ha', i.e. village home up north, during pub. hols & all - two of which I've also had the fortune to visit).

Lives of others, eh.

One perspective - perhaps a hint of 2...

Still.

Not the full picture.

chingleutsch likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chingleutsch
    Good photos, but where are all the ones of the islands and country parks?

Oh sorry, I forgot. Balanced views do not a newspaper sell.
    Generally no one lives in the country parks or islands (well, not many).

Most people live in the high rises or low rise (around 10-12 stories).

I think most people here live in their bubble and don't consider how most locals actually live.
    TheBrit and chingleutsch like this.

Excellent pictures.
    Biased?... I don't think the photographer was trying to show the 'full' picture, nor should he be chastized for it.
    It certainly is an accurate portrayal of how many HKers live.

virago likes this.

The pictures were not taken for the 'article,' they're from an exhibition/book made about ten years or so ago as far as I remember. Obviously a slow news day so a junior journalist who's never even been to Hong Kong found some pictures on teh interwebz and tried to make a news feature of it. Such is the state of modern journalism.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast