View Poll Results: How large is the flat you live in (in gross sq. ft)?

Voters
126. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1501-1600

8 6.35%
  • 1401-1500

5 3.97%
  • 1301-1400

4 3.17%
  • 1201-1300

6 4.76%
  • 1101-1200

7 5.56%
  • 1001-1100

4 3.17%
  • 901-1000

10 7.94%
  • 801-900

4 3.17%
  • 701-800

10 7.94%
  • 601-700

19 15.08%
  • 501-600

15 11.90%
  • 401-500

8 6.35%
  • 301-400

3 2.38%
  • Less than 300

4 3.17%
  • More than 1600

19 15.08%
Like Tree66Likes

Poll: How large is your flat (gross sq. ft)?

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tom007:
    12,000sqft equals 1,115 square meter?Yeah 2,000 is enormous; absolutely. Friend of mine lived in Red Hill. That was like 3,000 or more. Biggest single unit I have ever seen in HK. Half of a soccer team could stay there easily.
    I did some stuff for a couple who rented on of the 'upside down houses' at Red Hill......she was saying how lucky they were to have found it for 100k per month....I now know she wasn't joking!!

I guess that was 3000ish...banker husband...

Yeah the size 3000+ is staggering [ the rent too ] :-)

Quote Originally Posted by INXS:
    I did some stuff for a couple who rented on of the 'upside down houses' at Red Hill......she was saying how lucky they were to have found it for 100k per month....I now know she wasn't joking!!

I guess that was 3000ish...banker husband...
    And that must have been a while ago cos below 130k you don't get much in red hill these days.
    Last edited by Mat; 08-07-2013 at 06:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuMaiTaiTai:
    There is a growing trend for tiny homes across the US and Europe with people realising it isn't that smart to sit on large mortgages for large houses, only to feel the need to fill it up with unneeded stuff that need maintenance or upkeep.
    For me, I think 800-1000 is ideal for most families and smallness imo can help with bonding within a family and of course much quicker to clean !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTTwzwKLZak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYV0qATsyts
    I really agree with this, and this has been one of the most enriching aspects for me since living abroad. Going from the US --> Europe --> HK there has been a gradual downshift in living/outdoor space, and now every time I go home, I feel so overwhelmed by all the STUFF that fills up the house where I grew up (and knowing one day after my father passes away, I will have to go home and clean it up!). Now I find it so hard to image even living in a full home in the US, and I don't even want all the stuff you might collect/buy to fill up all the space. I would however like a US-size garden.

We live in less than 400sq/ft net in HK, and I do find this a bit too small for 2 people, though. It's pretty annoying when my partner can't help prepare dinner, because only one person can be in the kitchen, or if I can't grab something out of the bathroom while he's in it. It's been good, though, to have this experience and learning how it is possible to live like this (and with less stuff!). We have managed to have a piano and other large things without cluttering the space too much, but doing so took a painful amount of time to organize. Thankfully we have a very good flat layout with a walk-in closet instead of one of those mini-HK one bedrooms.

What I find really luxurious and nice is to have an en-suite bathroom and an extra bathroom for any potential guests.

When I arrived in HK I lived in a 1,900 sq. ft. net flat, alone! I felt I needed a compass to find my way, so I moved in a 750 sq. ft gross.

It's not so much the size I miss the most, but the privacy that goes along with it. I don't need a lot of junk, but I miss having multiple floors, basements, garages and backyards.

I hear people saying how Hong Kong is tough on marriages...and I think most people assume that is due to work stress, long hours and infidelity issues. However, I think Hong Kong can be hard on marriages because everyone is forced to live in such tight quarters. Back home I would go to the garage to work on the car, go mow the lawn, the wife could garden or I could simply retreat downstairs to watch the ballgame. Even guests that I have come into town seem to get on my nerves faster...a result of not as much privacy and personal space.

That was a hard adjustment for me...but now I have a much needed rooftop which helps a bit in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by closedcasket:
    It's not so much the size I miss the most, but the privacy that goes along with it. I don't need a lot of junk, but I miss having multiple floors, basements, garages and backyards.

I hear people saying how Hong Kong is tough on marriages...and I think most people assume that is due to work stress, long hours and infidelity issues. However, I think Hong Kong can be hard on marriages because everyone is forced to live in such tight quarters. Back home I would go to the garage to work on the car, go mow the lawn, the wife could garden or I could simply retreat downstairs to watch the ballgame. Even guests that I have come into town seem to get on my nerves faster...a result of not as much privacy and personal space.

That was a hard adjustment for me...but now I have a much needed rooftop which helps a bit in that regard.
    Actually, it's interesting that you say this now, as I'm facing a major issue with my relationship. My partner's family has no concept of "too small" to come and visit and stay with him. For me, I really need my space, especially at the end of the day, and would prefer if guests (even family) stay in a hotel, even if I have a large flat. Now that I live in less than 400sq/ft, I just can't conceive his family visiting and staying with us, especially since it hasn't gone smoothly in the past. On top of that, family coming to Hong Kong will be coming from pretty far away and will want to stay longer than a week, if not 2+. So this has created an incredible amount of tension, and on top of that, I don't know if his family will ever forgive me for setting this boundary or if I will ever be able to build a good reputation with them. It's been pretty tough. Does anyone else have this problem and found a solution?

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    Actually, it's interesting that you say this now, as I'm facing a major issue with my relationship. My partner's family has no concept of "too small" to come and visit and stay with him. For me, I really need my space, especially at the end of the day, and would prefer if guests (even family) stay in a hotel, even if I have a large flat. Now that I live in less than 400sq/ft, I just can't conceive his family visiting and staying with us, especially since it hasn't gone smoothly in the past. On top of that, family coming to Hong Kong will be coming from pretty far away and will want to stay longer than a week, if not 2+. So this has created an incredible amount of tension, and on top of that, I don't know if his family will ever forgive me for setting this boundary or if I will ever be able to build a good reputation with them. It's been pretty tough. Does anyone else have this problem and found a solution?
    If they won't move into a hotel, I suggest you do! (seriously). This could be an utter disaster. I consider less than 400sq ft barely sufficient for a couple let alone an extended family. You DO NOT have room. Period. Just say so! Where on earth are they going to sleep? Are they chinese or from some other country which often lives in small places? If so, this might be why. If they are from UK/Australia/USA or somewhere with sensible sized accomodation, you might want to let them know what 400sq ft means ("the whole flat would fit into your kitchen" for example, might do the trick!).

If they are budget-challenged, you might offer to pay for their accomodation (if you can afford it).

Other ideas - suggest that you "all go somewhere together to take advantage of being in Asia" - e.g. beach resort in Phils; tour of China; Phuket - anywhere really where you can all stay in Hotels and pay for your own rooms! That might reduce the squash time down to something livable.

Failing that, I suggest an "urgent business trip" should "suddenly" be necessary right in the middle of the visit, leaving you only enough time to say "hi" when they arrive and "bye" as they leave..... (been there; done that! )
    z754103 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    If they won't move into a hotel, I suggest you do! (seriously). This could be an utter disaster. I consider less than 400sq ft barely sufficient for a couple let alone an extended family. You DO NOT have room. Period. Just say so! Where on earth are they going to sleep? Are they chinese or from some other country which often lives in small places? If so, this might be why. If they are from UK/Australia/USA or somewhere with sensible sized accomodation, you might want to let them know what 400sq ft means ("the whole flat would fit into your kitchen" for example, might do the trick!).

If they are budget-challenged, you might offer to pay for their accomodation (if you can afford it).

Other ideas - suggest that you "all go somewhere together to take advantage of being in Asia" - e.g. beach resort in Phils; tour of China; Phuket - anywhere really where you can all stay in Hotels and pay for your own rooms! That might reduce the squash time down to something livable.

Failing that, I suggest an "urgent business trip" should "suddenly" be necessary right in the middle of the visit, leaving you only enough time to say "hi" when they arrive and "bye" as they leave..... (been there; done that! )
    They're not Asia, but have lived with very little in the past (tiny studio), but they're not familiar with my particular culture/background in which there is NO WAY family would stay together in 400sq/ft. His family stayed with him (3 adults total) in around 300sq/ft for quite awhile while he was a student. They would sleep on the floor, sofa, wherever! AHH!
    Can you imagine telling Chinese in-laws to stay in a hotel, though? It is such an insult.

Money is an issue for them, but even though its my partner that is here on a well-paying, I HAVE offered to spend all of my savings to pay for a hotel! It will be very expensive, but it's a small price to pay for some happiness. I've certainly said that I will go away when they want to come, but this made the mom rather angry. I want a chance to build a good relationship with them, so just going away isn't going to help.

I've thought about getting a serviced apartment for a month so they can all just come and go as they need for a whole month. Not sure if this is wise, particularly with regards to the mother who I have little experience with and only extremely bad experience with. (Maybe a month is too long.) And then there is the issue that hotels in the immediate area are indeed pretty darn expensive.... :/

But thank heavens you agree with me about the 400sq/ft thing! It just seems absolutely inconceivable for more than one or two nights!!!

I also think a trip with them is too risky... I might end up feeling quit "trapped" if things go badly. But maybe, maybe it's possible... just for a couple of days.

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast