baby friendly neighbourhoods

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

baby friendly neighbourhoods

Hi,

My husband, 10 month old son and I will be moving to HK in two months time. I went to look for apts briefly but must return to do it properly. We have a fairly large budget provided by my husband's company...but...you know the prices are over the roof...Still might be able to afford Stanley, Repulse Bay, Tai Tam or Shousan Hill.

Ideally wanted an area I could walk with my son in a stroller --but I was there in the winter. Is it just too hot to walk outside most of the year? I got the sense that only Stanley (of these areas) had shade and shops and restaurants that I could walk to--Is this accurate. Is there anything in walking distance from Shousan Hill or Repulse Bay? Tai Tam?

Can anyone advise me as to which neighbourhoods are best for Mom and Baby. We also want a place with a pool and possibly gym--hopefully.

Last question: Is Stanley just too far from nice restaurants and the action, or is it the small paradise I first thought it to be?

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks,

Kathym

Best to seek some opinions on Hong Kong Pregnancy and Baby Resources, Forums and Events - GeoBaby.Com - you'll get a more real perspective on where baby expats should live.

Thanks

Thanks for the websites. I snuck some time away from the babe to visit the first one and it looks very helpful. Still if anyone has any ideas to my questions, it would be great to hear them.

Thanx

Kathym

There's a book out called the Pram Pushers Guide to HK:

Prampushers in Hong Kong

As you might have guessed, it tells you where you can actually push a pram in HK.

Thanks and Air Quality

Hi,

Thanks for the guide tip. I will try to get a copy if I can before I get there.

You know, from looking at the site many people mention Pokfulam as a place with parks and many things for babies. Isn't that rather congested compared to Stanely or Repulse Bay.

Anyway, I will figure it out soon. So many people live in the mid levels with babies and kids. I only saw a small section of it, but it seemed very congested and I thought the air quality must be better on the south side of the island. Does anyone know where the air quality is best and worst on HK island?

Sorry to keep this thread going, never one to give up.

K.

Pokfulam is actually far less congested than Repulse Bay / Stanley, in terms of traffic and how close the buildings are to each other.

We literally have dozens of members from GeoBaby / GeoExpat who live in Belair and commute to Central / Causeway Bay.

Best bets are to get a serviced apartment for a month or two and then figure out where you want to live.

Quote Originally Posted by kathym:
    Anyway, I will figure it out soon. So many people live in the mid levels with babies and kids. I only saw a small section of it, but it seemed very congested and I thought the air quality must be better on the south side of the island. Does anyone know where the air quality is best and worst on HK island?

Sorry to keep this thread going, never one to give up.

K.
    This might seem obvious, but ground level pollution is worse where the cars are and where the buildings are stacked and air flow restricted. Higher up, air quality is better south and east

If you can, stay in a serviced appartment for a month, while you search for places to live. It'll give you a good overview of what different neighbourhoods are like. If your company will pay for it De Ricou and Parkview are two great serviced appartments for families.

As for the neighbourhood, everyone is going to tell you theirs is the best! Personally, I think for a young family, Repulse Bay and Stanley are great... lots of places to push a pram or a little kids bike, nice beaches and cafes, lots of preschools, good doctors/dentists, good supermarkets etc.

would echo OTR

wife and I have been in HK for a month and had same dilema as you guys. We ended up in Parkview as a serviced apartment which was great to get orientated and understand the different areas (even with big budget you are still limited!!)

We have ended up in Bamboo Grove which is Mid-Levels East and importantly at the bottom of mid levels so easy to get out and about with pram and without HUGE hills to contend with. Advice on South Side is to look early. We really loved The Repulse Bay but there is waiting list at present so if you have time before you arrive you might want to think about this - not a lot of apartments out there at present given the exodus from NYC and London going on.....

If you want to PM with further details there is an agent that we used that I can really recommend

Anyway best of luck, and also check out GeoBaby for further advice

Thanks Guys

Thanks for all the helpful info. I will look into all your suggestions. I knew places would fill up quickly, but hadn't realized there were waiting lists.

Man o Man. I better get with the program.

Thanks.

Kathy

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast