Like Tree16Likes

Moving to HK from Australia

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Grunt, you're beginning to sound like a Hong Kong land developer's sales brochure.

TheBrit, chris_yang22 and Skyhook like this.

Yes I am, because we're not talking about going up in the morning rush hour. Of course, this involves walking up the escalators, not standing still. It's a horizontal distance (as far as I can judge from Google maps) of about 250m from the platform to where you intersect the escalator on the north side of Des Voeux Road. For me that's about 3-3.5 minutes allowing for the escalators.

If it takes you 7 then you have my sympathy on your physical condition.

Original Post Deleted
    let's call it 6-7 minutes trek from exit d or e1 then over connaught rd bridge, via heng seng hg, then through the soon to be re-developed and slight gradiant-sloping/steps of central markets/oasis then finally to the start of the escalators which starts on queen rd central

it works out to be around 270-330 metres - source - hk directory map and my ruler/scaled distance

The escalator doesn't start on Queen's Road Central - it starts on Des Voeux Road. You intersect the mid-levels escalator at the north end of the central market, where it comes up from Des Voeux. To Queen's Road Central add an extra 45-60 seconds.

Last edited by Gruntfuttock; 03-05-2013 at 03:38 PM.

Original Post Deleted
    Not at all - being right is often unpopular, as I've found out many times over the years.
    MovingIn07 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    Not at all - being right is often unpopular, as I've found out many times over the years.
    LOL - I agree with the attitude although not with the advice in this particular instance

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

To the OP, stick to Kowloon side/Olympic.

MovingIn07 and chingleutsch like this.

Thanks everyone for being so helpful. I've decided to take your advice for a serviced apartment in Olympic area for when I first arrive. Following that, I want to look for something a bit further out on the Tung Chung line so I can get a bit more space. Coming from Australia where our homes are so big, I would rather commute 30 mins on the train and enjoy a bigger space when I get home at the end of the day.

On the Tung Chung line you get Tsing Yi (not much there, quite crowded) or then Tung Chung. Nothing inbetween. Some people like Tung Chung but honestly I think it's a dump. Basically a few tower blocks surrounding an outlet mall which is generally full of mainland shoppers.

If you are interested in a less than 30 min commute for larger, cheaper, nicer place then look to Gold Coast. The residences have beach houses which are closer (closer, not close!) to Australian standard accommodation and as I mentioned there is a direct commuter bus to Olympic run by the apartment block (not a public bus).

Another option you may want to consider is Park Island - also cheaper, closer than Gold Coast but slightly more difficult location to get to.

But first, get your serviced appt and then look around. You may find something completely different. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    On the Tung Chung line you get Tsing Yi (not much there, quite crowded) or then Tung Chung. Nothing inbetween. Some people like Tung Chung but honestly I think it's a dump. Basically a few tower blocks surrounding an outlet mall which is generally full of mainland shoppers.

If you are interested in a less than 30 min commute for larger, cheaper, nicer place then look to Gold Coast. The residences have beach houses which are closer (closer, not close!) to Australian standard accommodation and as I mentioned there is a direct commuter bus to Olympic run by the apartment block (not a public bus).

Another option you may want to consider is Park Island - also cheaper, closer than Gold Coast but slightly more difficult location to get to.

But first, get your serviced appt and then look around. You may find something completely different. Good luck.
    if you or your husband planning to own a car, gold coast will be a nice place to avoid the hussle and bussle of over crowded city such as hk and if you prefer slightly low rise building, if not, it can be not so nice to commute on a daily basis

if you prefer convienence, then around elements/kowloon station, olympic even parts of hung hom ( royal peninsular / harbour place) (via tung chung line to kowloon station, then 5-6 minutes walk to d2 of austin station to west line)