Like Tree16Likes

Moving to HK from Australia

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Red face Moving to HK from Australia

Hi I'd like to ask for some advice about accommodation in HK. I will be moving to HK shortly and would like to seek advice for safe areas to live for myself and my partner. My job will be based on Sham Mong Road in Kowloon so would appreciate advice on areas near my work or places around Mid Levels (as so many expats have recommended to me)or around HK Island
    Couple of points:
    1) Prefer 2 bedroom flat with gym facilities if possible
    2) Prefer location to be near shops/supermarkets and easy walking distance to transport to get to work
    3) Budget is around 25-30K hkd per month
    4) Happy to travel up to 30 mins to work provided I'm near a bus/MTR.
    5) Would like suggestions first for serviced apartments (so I can trial different areas) with a view to rent once once decided.

Thanks!

Loz_2 likes this.

Just an aside... your "partner" - are you married (and of different sex)? If not, do they have a visa in their own right which enables them to reside here legally?

I can't see why you'd want to live in the mid-levels and work in Kowloon. Depending on where on Sham Mong Road your office is then the apartments around Olympic MTR might make sense and be within a few minutes walk.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    Just an aside... your "partner" - are you married (and of different sex)? If not, do they have a visa in their own right which enables them to reside here legally?

I can't see why you'd want to live in the mid-levels and work in Kowloon. Depending on where on Sham Mong Road your office is then the apartments around Olympic MTR might make sense and be within a few minutes walk.
    Hi Gruntfuttock, I'm a female working in IT and my partner is soon to become my husband I've read some info online which says he can come over via the dependant visa but probably need to find some more info about that. Regardless, I'm planning to come over to HK first anyway and he can follow suit later if required.
    As far as mid-levels, honestly its just a starting point given i know nothing about HK. I am open to new locations as long as its not too far from work. My job should be at No.1 Sham Mong Road and I do acknowledge i will need some lessons on where to catch transport in HK as I really have no idea where to start. I've heard so many stories about high rent in HK so am a bit nervous I wont be able to find anything half decent.

He can only be on a Dependant Visa when he's your husband. Then no problem, and he can work freely.

OK - so that's HSBC, which is right next to Olympic Station where there are also plenty of apartments. You could get there within 30 minutes from the mid-levels, but I don't see why you'd want to since apartments there are probably 50% more expensive than at Olympic within walking distance of your office.

what ever you do, dont agree or put down any money on places until you have physically visited it, dont trust the pictures on any website.

Once you arrive in HK, check yourself into one of the many serviced apartments for the 1 month or two, visit different areas around your work or Mid levels, If I were you I would stick with Kowloon (Olympic Area or Kowloon Station.)

Football16 likes this.

He can only be on a Dependant Visa when he's your husband. Then no problem, and he can work freely.

OK - so that's HSBC, which is right next to Olympic Station where there are also plenty of apartments. You could get there within 30 minutes from the mid-levels, but I don't see why you'd want to since apartments there are probably 50% more expensive than at Olympic within walking distance of your office.
    Thanks - Interesting how much more expensive it is at Mid Levels - a number of my expat colleagues all live in Mid Levels so I guess I figured I would start there. Do you know any well recommended serviced apartment names in Olympic?

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    what ever you do, dont agree or put down any money on places until you have physically visited it, dont trust the pictures on any website.

Once you arrive in HK, check yourself into one of the many serviced apartments for the 1 month or two, visit different areas around your work or Mid levels, If I were you I would stick with Kowloon (Olympic Area or Kowloon Station.)
    thanks for the tip - I heard there is a company that I can hire to help arrange inspections for me and negotiate prices? do you happen to know the name? I really dont have the time to be looking for too long so would prefer to pay someone to do the hard yards. And yes, I definitely do plan to start with a serviced apartments for a few months, despite the higher cost.

I don't, because I live in the mid-levels

But I'm really surprised that HSBC's HR isn't getting you sorted with a serviced apartment or hotel for a couple of weeks.

I don't, because I live in the mid-levels

But I'm really surprised that HSBC's HR isn't getting you sorted with a serviced apartment or hotel for a couple of weeks.
    Oh they definitely are for the first month, but I can choose wherever I want it to be , so I was just searching for an appropriate location to start. (get the best bang for my buck)

And you can talk ! you live in Mid-levels! haha
    Last edited by coolchick; 03-05-2013 at 01:05 AM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast