Like Tree5Likes

Where to live?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Where to live?

Hello! I am a Mummy of 3 and we will soon be moving to Hong Kong with my husbands job. We have not much idea about HK and would love to hear some thoughts about where to live. We are fortunate enough to have the children spaces in Kellet school and can chose either site for them to attend school, Kowloon or Pok Fu Lam.
    We live in the country in England and are not keen on too much hussle and bussle and would like somewhere slightly green as opposed to smoggy and built up. Any thoughts on where to consider would be greatly appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by mummy3:
    Hello! I am a Mummy of 3 and we will soon be moving to Hong Kong with my husbands job. We have not much idea about HK and would love to hear some thoughts about where to live. We are fortunate enough to have the children spaces in Kellet school and can chose either site for them to attend school, Kowloon or Pok Fu Lam.
    We live in the country in England and are not keen on too much hussle and bussle and would like somewhere slightly green as opposed to smoggy and built up. Any thoughts on where to consider would be greatly appreciated!
    Approximate budget? How many bedrooms do you need? Children's ages (relevant to commute time to school)?

If it was me I would look at Pok Fu Lam first - lots of families, fair amount of greenery, close to school, lots of after school activities in the area, close to a country park, close to beaches, easy quick commute to Central (presumably where your husband will be working). But, your housing options in Pok Fu Lam will primarily be high rise apartments.

If you want a house in the country New Territories will be your best bet, with children attending the Kowloon campus, but commute times vary greatly from different parts of the NT.
    mummy3 likes this.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Budget would help. As would husband's office location.

Wow - this forum is really quick!!
    Husband will be located at the airport. Children are 5, 8 and 9.
    Budget is around $60,000
    Many thanks!

I recommend The PEAK, get yourself a large villa with swimming pool, only a few 100K rent per month, hire 2 Domestic helpers (nanny) + a driver to take the kids and your hubby to school/work

OK pls ignore above, you posted a budget while I was typing up the drivel LOL

mummy3 likes this.

Kellet School, either in Pok Fu Lam or Kowloon Bay and the husband works at the Airport, Poor Husband, his commute to and back is going to be Horrendous

Is school pick up provided, find out the bus pick up routes and maybe you can find a location to balance in between the school & airport.

if the kids go to kowloon side, kowloon station would be convenient. husband can take the airport express to work and back. kids can go to school via school bus!
    budget of $60k would be able to get you a 1300-1500sqft apartment which would be quite comfortable for a family of 5 (excluding help).

wtbhotia likes this.

Sorrento above Kowloon Station asking for 68K per month, you could probably haggle the 8K off.

Tsim Sha Tsui
    Gross Area: 1,805 sq.ft. (@ HK$ 38 p.s.f., @ HK$ 19,945 p.s.f.)
    Saleable Area: 1,367 sq.ft. (@ HK$ 50 p.s.f., @ HK$ 26,335 p.s.f.)
    Bedrooms: 4 (2-Ensuite)
    Bathrooms: 3
    Rental:
    HK$ 68,000 incl

some other price choices for Sorrento

http://www.hongkonghomes.com/en/prop...yword=sorrento

Quote Originally Posted by mummy3:
    Not a rain on your parade, but just a friendly advice. Putting up with some hussle and bustle is a reality in HK. Even if you manage to find a peaceful spot in the city, you will have to endure the traffic, the people and the general pace of life every time you go out. So that might require some adjusting on your part.

Quote Originally Posted by agnesliu:
    ***** is a low density housing development in Sheung Shui with clubhouse, gym, pool, squash court, tennis court, playground, playroom, BBQ pits, exercise walks 3 min walk away is Wu tung river, with chirping birds, butterfly, open fields and egrets. Tin Ping Road is lined with majestic trees that form a canopy. Hong Kong golf club is 2 miles away.
    7 min walk away are the library, supermarket, fashion mall, restaurants and the Sheung Shui train station. Best of both worlds.
    Transportation:
    Morning shuttle to Causeway bay and central takes only 40 min. Airport bus takes 45 min to the Terminal. Busses and mini-busses go to Yuen Long, Ching Yi, Kwun Tong, etc. By car, it’s 35 min to Jordan, 30 min to Kowloon Tong
    One train stop away from Shenzhen border where you can connect to high speed rail of the mainland.
    The apartment has very high ceiling (11 sq. ft.) Marble floors. Floor area: 1179 sq. ft.
    All 3 rooms and the maid’s quarter are wired to the internet. Covered carpark,
    Rent $24,000 HKD a month.
    This post is spam. But it does highlight that there are some less built up places in hk.
    Will you get a car and drive kids to school? If so try looking at sai kung area. It sounds like the kind od place you would like. Airport commute won't be great but you have chosen two fixed points (kids school and hubvy work) which are mutually exclusive given that the easiest places for both are slap bang in the middle of some of the most built up areas in the world.

Ignore anyone who says you must live in a highrise. You don't. Hk has other options and your budget is high enough for it to be worth hunting them out.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using GeoClicks mobile app
    Last edited by Editor; 05-05-2013 at 05:09 PM.
    mummy3 likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast