Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By chingleutsch
  • 1 Post By Raccon
  • 1 Post By triunfo
  • 1 Post By INXS

Lamma Island and the commute to work?

Closed Thread

Lamma Island and the commute to work?

Does anyone here live or has lived on Lamma Island and made the daily commute to work?

Unlike seemingly so many people here, I don't have a budget of HKD 20,000-35,000/month. I plan on spending much less until I'm firmly employed, at which point I may consider other options.

How do you feel about the commute? The 15-20 minute walk every day to the ferry? Hills? Rainy days? I'm used to a one hour commute, which is common here in Toronto, but 90% of that time I'm sitting down.

Folks here will be able to help you better if you specify your budget and the location of your work place.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using GeoClicks Mobile

It would help if you actually said where you are going to commute to.

bbbbbbbbb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Raccon:
    It would help if you actually said where you are going to commute to.
    Presumably Central. I'm not working in the first month as I have to take care of my HKID application and family matters. I have a nibble with an employer in Wan Chai, though I won't look more into that until I'm actually in Hong Kong.

I'm more curious about how people feel about their commute from their apartment to walking 10-20 minutes to the pier and then the ferry (crowds?) to Central. Disembarking at Central obviously people go their own way and at that point I have no issues.

I've never been to Lamma Island that's why.

Well, for heaven' sake at least visit the island before you decide for sure and certain that you're going to live there. You might prefer Cheung Chau, or end up working in Tung Chung or Fanling, in which case the commute would be more than an intense bummer. And btw, it's in Central that the crowds start getting intense...

And where on Lamma? Would you be commuting from Sok Wu Wan to Aberdeen or from Yung Shue Wan to Central? Some villages are right next to ferry piers, others are are a long walk away. If you chose a place away from the ferry piers, how do you feel about doing hill walking in 33+ degrees Celsius + 95% humidity, or during downpours? (and even if you don't mind the former, will your place of work have showers available, or how will your colleagues feel about being close to you for the rest of the day?).

Do you know that there are rural areas with cheap housing, better transport connections and facilities in "mainland" New Territories (i.e. between Kowloon and Shenzhen)?

To summarise, get yourself a job and do some on the ground research before you make any decisions...

alanjg likes this.

Sounds like the OP is not yet in HK, so she can't visit it.

Anyway, lots of people live on Lamma and commute to HK Island. The ferry is a very relaxing way to travel compared to a bus or MTR. You're probably thinking Yung Shue Wan when you talk about Lamma as that's where most people live. The Sok Ku Wan village is much quieter and has less frequent ferries.

There's only one area on YSW that really involves a hill, which is a bit of a killer in the summertime. Most the rest of the places that people live involve a pretty flat walk.

Last edited by jgl; 17-06-2013 at 01:41 PM.

Or you might even end up in Peng Chau Island (19 years and counting)! Living on an island has its pros and cons...

Pros: Possibly a larger apartment for a cheaper rent, better view, relatively cleaner air, occasional sea breeze, more of a community, fishing, beach with the kids, great place for kids to roam around freely

Cons: No ferry service during Typhoon 8 and 10 (they usually give out a notice an hour or so ahead so you don't get stranded on HK Island if you're heading home), rain storms are the worst since I'm tall and I have around 10 minutes of walking downhill to get to the pier, sweat profusely on the way down to/ up from the pier, a handful of critters and snakes, and a lot of walking/biking since the only vehicles are mini ambulances and fire 4 wheelers (on Peng Chau)

Edit: Another setback is your daily life will very likely revolve around the ferry schedule, since thats your only mode of transportation in and out of the island. If you go out at night, you have to catch either the 12am, 3am, or 6 am ferry since there's nothing else in between.

Last edited by triunfo; 17-06-2013 at 02:27 PM.
    bbbbbbbbb likes this.

Very helpful! Thanks all!

As one of the posters has already mentioned, there are no cars on Llama so you have to take into account how far you'll be living from the ferry pier...

Most people living more than fifteen minutes walk keep one of the Llamas the island is named for and ride to the pier on those. I understand they cost about $1500HKD to keep, food and so on...not to mention the mess. It's something else to consider/think about.

Gruntfuttock likes this.

Wouldn't it be better to get one of the red-coated lamas who could help you levitate to the pier? or, if you got a really good one, right into the office (lot more expensive to keep than llamas, though).