Fresh grad with 10k/month budget

Closed Thread

Fresh grad with 10k/month budget

Hi everyone!

I'm a fresh grad moving from Toronto to HK this coming August for work. While my company's been lovely enough to pay for my plane ticket, there's no housing allowance. I've been hoping to find a serviced apartment in the 10k/month ballpark -- in a relatively safe district where a single girl can go home alone after a long day's work without having to worry too much about dark corners.

So far I haven't been able to find anything online that fits the bill, but I'm hoping that I'll come across something once I hit the pavement when I arrive. Am I being too hopeful, or do you guys have any suggestions for a 10k budget? Thanks in advance!

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Have you tried W studios, H studios, Studiostudio, Cozy Studios, City Loft, etc.? Located on HK island but small, sometimes very small.

Also know of a hostel (ladies only) which would be in your budget. Clean, safe. Run by a catholic charity but I don't think you have to have an imaginary friend to stay there.

Also, don't sweat the safety aspect too much when you get here. HK is way safer than most, if not all, Western cities.

Thanks for all the advice! City Loft is starting to look appealing.. but I'll have to wait till I land in HK to take a look in person. Thanks!

No need to worry about safety in Hong Kong - it is relatively safe 99.99999999999999% of the time.

I live in Jordan/Yau Ma Tei area - sometimes I go for a walk or run when I can't sleep (jet lagged) at 2am. Never a problem in all the years I have lived here.

Now service apartments ... rents seems to be rising in the region 10K is just on the boarder as of late. Those that I know staying in service apartments are pay in the range of HKD11000 to HKD13000

Hearing from those who are staying at service apartment's and just how much they are paying may be useful.

Last edited by Alby; 01-05-2008 at 09:04 AM.

hi ventrice,

well hong kong is always safe for girls on dark nights..by the way,if you are comfortable living in kowloon side,you would be getting an apartment with a budget of 9000-10000/month.My apartment is in this budget and it's about 650 sqf.The best part is,food ,groceries is always easy for me coz in tsim sha shui it's a paradise for good and affordable food.
    Also ,it's neva lonely or dark even it's 3 am in the morning.Consider seriouly moving to tsim sha Tsui.I can enquire for you if you wana settle here.

tex.

yeah, living in TST (Tsim Sha Tsui) is wonderful. u just feel good everything is easily accessible. well as far as i know, there are different level of "serviced apartment" 10K i am afraid cant do much. also you will have to decide what level of service you expect from the apartment/district etc. in hk the transportation and rent are relatively on the high side, the rest e.g. food, as long as you have your way around town, it should not be a problem.

Good luck.

hallo...

try this.. harbourview horizon.. you can get lower floors at 9990. Not too sure if they have increase their pricing as prices have been skyrocketing..

Harbourview Horizon
    decent size and well furnish.. but i have heard crap about their management though. But if you want something furnished... this can be an option.

hope this helps..