Like Tree2Likes

Which serviced apartment?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by zwpor8
    Thanks August0. I found some poor reviews of Bauhinia on TripAdvisor earlier and was somewhat put off by them, but may still consider it given your positive feedback. Cheers
    I note that this is the only post August0 has made and they joined this morning just to make it, so I wouldn't give it much value if I were you.

I stayed at The Bauhinia when I arrived in HK ten years ago. It was fine then..

Pinnacle in Tst will be a short taxi ride to work or a 20 minute walk. No idea what the apartments are like but thats the location I would choose .

Quote Originally Posted by bibbju
    OP, it's only for a month. Given you'll be starting a new job and no doubt under pressure to perform, I would have thought location and commute are more important than size, a couple of less than glowing Trip Advisor reviews and alleged "old furniture".

The better serviced apartment buildings tend to get booked up (as you can see by Shama disappearing) especially when it's only a short stay (which 1 month is) so suggest you make your mind up sooner rather than later.
    Bibbju - your points are valid and I agree, although the issue with Bauhinia on TA that concerned me more was the cleanliness and general state of the place (being HK, I expect to be spending little time at home anyway so old furniture is the least of my concerns, but cleanliness is important to me)

Your post does raise some interesting points and useful feedback though:

1. Shama appears to be one of the better chains.

• Interestingly the relocation people said Shama has been removed from the list because Shama have sold the building and "it is no longer Shama", rather than being one of availability
    • Anyone have experience with the TreasureView or Hanlun chain?
    2. Availability

• The relocation people suggested with two months to go I could "take my time", but your post suggests I should make a decision quickly.
    I am inclined to take your advice and err on the side of bedding something down quickly.

As TheBrit suggested, The Pinnacle looks appealing too location-wise.

Thanks again everyone for your feedback - keep them coming

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock
    I note that this is the only post August0 has made and they joined this morning just to make it, so I wouldn't give it much value if I were you.
    Well, well. Look who woke up on the wrong side of the bed. Watch your comments in forum buddy... although I don't give them any value others might consider you offensive.

I was recently told by Pinnacle management that they would be closing soon as building was being renovated or something. Could be by August? So I would call to get details before making assumptions.

Hi

Given how hot hong kong is in the summer, you might want to consider walking times if like me you cannot handle the heat well.

I personally would live one Or 2 mtr stops further out from work but a few mins from the mtr, than a location that involves a solid 15 min work to work.

30+ heat and walking in a suit will not be fun!

carpe_diem likes this.

Hi zwpor8, welcome to the forums!

We're in 2 Macdonnell right now and I don't think the furniture is "old" at all. There's a huge Park'n'Shop (supermarket) nearby but no restaurants - 20min sweaty walk downhill to Central from here. Hubby walks 10mins to ICBC plaza but don't know how he stands the heat!

Since you're only there for a month I'd echo the suggestions above and go for the place with the shortest commute, you'll be jet lagged and starting a new job, don't add any extra stress to your life!

Quote Originally Posted by quirksome
    Hi zwpor8, welcome to the forums!

We're in 2 Macdonnell right now and I don't think the furniture is "old" at all. There's a huge Park'n'Shop (supermarket) nearby but no restaurants - 20min sweaty walk downhill to Central from here.
    There are several decent restaurants across the road in Coda Plaza (where ParknShop is)....and of course 2 Macdonnell Road's own cafe (when I stayed there, the food was pretty decent - and room service dinner was handy and reasonably priced). If it's taking you 20 mins to walk DOWN the hill, you're either a very slow walker or you haven't found the shortcuts yet.

Thanks again everyone, appreciate it. Hopefully after being in HK for some time I will have some experience and expertise to contribute on the forums here too

Hi bibbju, I'm terrible with directions so have probably been taking the scenic route

Yep you're right, the daily room service special is a steal at $79 and you can get pizza&beer for under $100 which is something! But I wouldn't recommend the restaurant in Coda plaza as the markup is huuuge - $63 for congee? $118 for 9 pieces of dim sum?

Zwpor no worries, plenty of helpful and friendly people around here! Don't worry too much about the serviced apartment, after all it's only a month :-) Good luck narrowing it down!

Quote Originally Posted by bibbju
    There are several decent restaurants across the road in Coda Plaza (where ParknShop is)....and of course 2 Macdonnell Road's own cafe (when I stayed there, the food was pretty decent - and room service dinner was handy and reasonably priced). If it's taking you 20 mins to walk DOWN the hill, you're either a very slow walker or you haven't found the shortcuts yet.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast