Like Tree33Likes

Where to live in HK?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Proplus
    Football16, being the 1st year in HK, I really do not recommend the minibuses. There's little English and there routes can be hard to understand, and how to get off

Sent from my GT-N7100 using GeoClicks mobile app

I think I meant to say the green minibus 17M from Prince Edward MTR and get off at the end of the line at Kowloon Hospital and Hospital Authority Building and walk 5 minutes from there. It is a no brainer route.

I still think OP would find colleagues at that school helpful on areas to live and transportation routes.

If I am a single female and work at KGV, I would live somewhere between Jordan and Mongkok.

Complete poppycock. Minibuses, whether you speak Canto or not are superb. There are enough decent travel apps to work out start and finish points and getting on or off them is easy, language barrier or not. To this day on a dull day with nothing to do I might actually get a minibus just for the sheer hell of seeing where it goes and to explore parts of Kowloon/NT or even the Island. I can't think of a better way to get to know your way around. Make a mistake ? Part of the fun.

Black's Link, or around Wanchai Gap if you got the green. Both are on HK Island :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom007
    Black's Link, or around Wanchai Gap if you got the green. Both are on HK Island :-)
    With a housing budget of 15K, and commuting to KGV?? Am I missing something here?

Quote Originally Posted by chingleutsch
    With a housing budget of 15K, and commuting to KGV?? Am I missing something here?
    You didn't miss a thing. My apologies :-( Didn't read properly, just the headline and it was very late last night. No excuse though.
    Last edited by Tom007; 10-07-2013 at 01:09 PM.
    chingleutsch likes this.

Contrary to dtb's recommendations, Chung King Mansion, TST is the perhaps the worst place for a young western woman, it has been known as a major crime spot in Hong Kong, that is why over 150 CCTV have been installed.

Quote Originally Posted by cangalaxy
    it has been known as a major crime spot in Hong Kong
    Really? I'd love to see some statistics....

Do you think Time magazine would send you to a place that was a major crime spot?
    http://www.time.com/time/travel/city...852107,00.html

Or CNN : http://travel.cnn.com/hong-kong/slee...ansions-283939

It might not be the ideal spot for the OP but to charactarize it as crime central is way off the mark.

The wiki article is quite accurate : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chungki...#Public_safety

My wife happily shops alone in CK Mansions - we get Indian spices there & the delicious Alfonso mangoes when they are in season. We are both fond of Delhi Mess curry house on the 3rd floor of Block C too.... calling it a major crime spot is pretty silly. It's old & dirty but then so are thousands of buildings in Hong Kong.

INXS and Fiona in HKG like this.

Quote Originally Posted by GadgetGirl05
    Hi,

Sorry for the delay the school is KGV in Ho Man Tin, and yes ideally I would be looking to pay less than $15K.

Although I currently live in London I do like to feel like I don't live in a city, somewhere quiet and peaceful is my preferable choice but still easy to commute to work and the social live. Having lived in London my whole life I'm not hugely fussed by the commute journey anything an hour or under is pretty normal for me.
    Plenty of places within your budget in Ho Man Tin. You could also try Kowloon Tong.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast