Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Just to name a few crimes at Chung King Mansion:
    (1) Mainland college girl raped on June 2, 2013 at Chung King Mansion
    http://hongkong.geoexpat.com/forum/p...ml#post2473358
    (2) Indian woman gang-raped at the notorious Chung King Mansion in 2012
    http://www.scmp.com/article/38030/gang-rape-chungking
    (3) Mongolian young man murdered at Chung King Mansion
    http://www.scmp.com/article/721847/m...mansions-death

I was born, educated and grow up here in Hong Kong, who knows better than a Hong Kongese ?

Isolated incidents do not make for very good crime statistics.

The fact that you were born and raised here hasnt made you any less ignorant. You sound like those people who savoid hiking in the hills because they are paranoid IIs will come and get them.

East_coast likes this.

Back the point. It's not the right place for new single person to stay on arrival.

Quote Originally Posted by mid_gen
    Back the point. It's not the right place for new single person to stay on arrival.
    Many new single people stay there on arrival. But it depends what kind of person you are. If you're a budget backpacking kind of person you'd probably enjoy it, if you like your little luxuries it probably isn't for you.

Of course you should also have a look at Ma On Shan. Not much in terms of pubs, but a nice promenade, beach, cleaner air, easy transportation everywhere, etc. Check it out!

cangalaxy likes this.

Do you consider Tung Chung, this is an area close to HK Airport. You could get a flat with 2 rooms under 15K for sure.

A bus route E21A go to Ho Man Tin, it take an hour journey. If you are interested, I could send you some listing.

These are not isolated incidents, common sense tell us why Chung King Mansion is typical of a crime spot are:
    (1) Lots of people live and stay together, mostly strangers coming from different countries, with different cultures.
    (2) Lots of guest houses inside a building, many of them with main doors unlocked 24 hours, and many without a permanent staff on guard (Note: many of the staff are part time workers )
    (3) 1,500 CCTV have been installed inside this building, it's probably the single building with the most number of CCTV in Hong Kong. If it is is safe, why should so many CCTV be installed ?
    In our local Chinese community, the word best use to describe Chung King Mansion is "A chicken cage without a door". I have been told by the owner of a guest house in Chung King Mansion that she doesn't welcome some guest (from a certain country) due to the reason that they are typical thieves. "They stay inside the guest house in the day time, but go out at night".
    I have been reading local newspaper everyday since I was 16, and have closely monitored on what is happening in Hong Kong, and I'm sure I know the place much better than foreigners who only stay in Hong Kong for only 10 or 20 years, or even less !

Last edited by cangalaxy; 13-07-2013 at 10:28 AM.
    SalseroHK likes this.

lets stop the chungking mansion argument, the op wants to live here long term ( proper apartment over a large rural house) not an odd day or week, I would not recommend chungking mansion unless you're hardy traveller, reminds me of balsall heath or Sparkbrook area of Birmingham, ie, great for interesting walks and maybe a bite or two, but it's not a great place to stay

Football16 likes this.

Hi Gadgetgirl,

My wife and I live in Metro Town. Officially it's Sai Kung, but it's located above Tiu Keng Leng MTR station. Meaning.. You don't have to go outside to get to work!
    It is wonderful. We pay 13.8K for a two bedroom apartment on the 22 floor.
    So, seems to be within price range.

From Central (party) to home by taxi costs 150 HKD. But the MTR will, take you there for 12 HKD until 01:00 am.
    Time-wise: anywhere in Kowloon will take max half an hour.

Metro Town:
    It is great, check it out on internet. If you can't, let me know I'll send you pics.

Has a clubhouse, which means outdoor and indoor swimming pool, gym, massage and library and stuff. Included in rent. Well. You pay 10 HKD per swim. ;-)

We're right on top of a mall, and near by the beautiful beaches.
    Really feels like a hotel here. So, I'm always on holiday.
    From the balcony (yes, balcony) I view the sea and the mountains as well as my neighbouring flat.

There are more Westerners, like me and my wife, but not many. Everyone speaks English though.

Honestly, I think you should check it out.

DB:
    Nice because it's Little England. But it is far from your work. Around an hour travel time to work.
    Does feel like a holiday though. Prices there start at 15K for old and distant apartments.
    So, if you wanna be around British peeps, do that.
    Otherwise, come here!
    :-)

Football16 and cangalaxy like this.

Chunking mansions is top of the most dangerous places in Hong Kong. Especially for a girl alone. Don't listen to that!
    Crimerate is very high there!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast